Footwell speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
naeemm

Z3 roadster 2.0

Footwell speakers

Post by naeemm »

Hi Guys
would anything larger than teh 4" speakers fit in the footwells?
i really do want to change the speakers to get abit of better sound. if you cant can someone recommend any decent 4" speakers?
i know you cant get much in the rear speakers behind the seats without modification which i dont really want to do.

would these be any good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

cheers
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I think you have to be careful with the footwell speakers in the Z3 as there is an Amp built into the nearside one.

However, someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly ;)
naeemm

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by naeemm »

N/s is driver side yes?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Passenger.

You can get 5.25" in the fronts without modification, 6.5" with some homemade spacer rings.
Search for a post by me called ICE diary and posts by paul.stufhelder for the spacer rings.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

Ooohh Infinity speakers.

Bargin if you can get them at £20.00.
I had some built into a custom made parcel shelf in a previous car, with a nice big amp in the boot, almost blew the rear screen out. :)

No idea though if they would fit, might be too deep for the space available with that tweeter on the top.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I've never been impressed with Infinity speakers. MB Quart, Polk and MAC Audio for me.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

Try Rainbow speakers. I've got a pair of 5.25" Rainbow Dreamline KX's in the footwells that work really well and cost about £100 without fitting, soundproofings and wiring. When I've had cars with more space I've used Infinity speakers all round but they wear out quickly unless you get the really expensive ones over £120.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I find infinity speakers are like Alpines, no bass, they need a subwoofer, which in the Z3 is a difficult procedure.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

I also may have to elaborate: I also have an 8" subwoofer between the seats in my own ersatz version of the Roadster sound enclosure to provide better bass...
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Ah well that makes a huge difference to the choices.
KERMIT1970

M roadster S50

speakers

Post by KERMIT1970 »

can anyone help me , i have changed my head unit with an Alpine & changed the front & rear speakers with Alpine ones too , kept the factory spec 5.25 in the footwells & 4 " in rear, sound is hopless no bass any ideas or any one tryed anything that has had good results?
estocks wrote:Ah well that makes a huge difference to the choices.
:head:
KERMIT1970

M roadster S50

speakers

Post by KERMIT1970 »

can anyone help me , i have changed my head unit with an Alpine & changed the front & rear speakers with Alpine ones too , kept the factory spec 5.25 in the footwells & 4 " in rear, sound is hopless no bass any ideas or any one tryed anything that has had good results?
estocks wrote:Ah well that makes a huge difference to the choices.
:head:
Mike123

M roadster S50

Sub Woofer

Post by Mike123 »

I have this fitted to the bulkhead behind the passenger seat - sounds good to me!

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/1 ... index.html
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

hi i have one of these behind my seat to improve bass. easy to fit and you get a controller to change levels and range in the bass.

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2 ... 86794.html

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I had the footwell speakers that included an amp, which were a pain, the sound was terrible and dull, so to remedy this I replaced the headunit. A long story short, I had to replace all the speakers as none would work with a new headunit, and opted for 5 1/2 inch components in the footwells with 4 inch coaxials behind the seats. In the passenger footwell, to make up for the lack of bass, I fitted a 10" Kenwood sub housed in a homemade MDF box and covered with black carpet. The amps live in the CD multichanger rack area in the boot, and the sub itself doesn't take up too much space.

BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

Most of my passengers have legs! :puzzle:
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I haven't had many issues with placing it as shown in the pic, but with tall passengers I tend to place it at the foot of the seat lying down face up. This gives the legroom with comfort and takes a few seconds to arrange.

It is just an alternative, as I didn't get the effects I wanted from the all-in-one compact solutions similar to the Clarion model mentioned above, and the majority of my driving time (it's the daily drive) in the Z is solo so it's not a major issue for me. Of course it may differ for others.
Last edited by Justin Time on Tue 08 Dec, 2009 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
mv70

M roadster S50

Post by mv70 »

Mike123 wrote:Most of my passengers have legs! :puzzle:
I was thinking the same.
Specially if they have long nice legs :lol: