Carkits & Z4

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...

Which is the best carkit solution on a Z4?

Poll ended at Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:38

BMW Bluetooth
63%
Hardwired Kit
5%
Aftermarket Bluetooth
32%

Total votes: 19

blackie36

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Carkits & Z4

Post by blackie36 »

I'm struggling to find the answer to a question relating to my Z4 which I have on order. Looking at standard cars in the dealership, the centre console between the seats has a barebone caddy for a mobile to clip into (using the relevant adaptor).

1. I understand that bluetooth is one option - is it worth forking out for the bluetooth option? (I already have multifunction steering wheel on the car).

2. If I go with a standard Nokia type car kit, does this interface into the phone holder between the seats & radio or does it have to be a completely separate mounting / installation?

3. How does handsfree perform in a soft top car? Can you actually here callers with the roof down?

Any views or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AdamC »

1 and 3 - I have the Nokia Blue Tooth kit in my Z3 and very plesaed with it. Mic is very sensative and conversations with the roof down at over 60 is not really possible as the other end struggles to hear. As for whether the BMW bluetooth option is worth forking out for, I dont know. I suspect it has a few neat features like being controllable from your steering wheel, but it will be more the standard Nokia kit. That is for you to decide.

2 - Not sure what you are talking about here as i dont have a Z4, but I get in my car with the bluetooth kit and off I go.... it so simple!
AdamC
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

In the UK, the BMW Bluetooth kit is £500 (once you have the MF wheel), whilst the Nokia kit installed will be around £200. As I had already bought a £60 over-the-ear Bluetooth headset, I decided to keep with that solution for the moment.

The centre console in-car charger looks really neat but will you really bother to put the phone there every time you get in. I don't know about you, but for me it's out-of-sight, out-of-mind--if I put the phone in and shut the flap I'm guaranteed to forget to take it out when I leave the car.

Far better to keep it in your pocket/on your belt. Today's mobiles go for a week or more between charges and I normally charge up when I get home.

Tim
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Zmurf wrote:whilst the Nokia kit installed will be around £200
U my man are speaking to the wrong people - PN's BT setup cost her half of that - you can probably work out the contacts to achieve this - if not PM me
VooDooD

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VooDooD »

Hi,

I used a bluetooth CK3000 Parrot kit from simplyhandsfree.net which took 15 mins to fit and only cost £75. Works like a dream even with the hood down at reasonable speed.

Matt
S.A.C
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by S.A.C »

An aftermarket kit will always be the best option as its not restrictive to what phone the car company decides to adopt.
There are kits now that allow you to link into the cars features, IE steering wheel controls and satnav screens.
S.A.C

Happiness was a Titanium Z3 now a Yellow Boxster.
Take it out, Play with it, Then polish it.
http://www.aoxa54.dsl.pipex.com/index.htm
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

As for the suggestions of keeping the telephone in your pocket, this is one of the worst suggestions IMHO.

The effects of the radio transmissions are still uncertain - there is some evidence to suggest it affects fertility (and could aid the onset of cancer of course). Having the telephone in a cradle does four things -
1) keeps the phone and possibly harmful radiation away from your body
2) If a fully installed carkit with a remote antenna - improves the signal and moves the radiation even further away (using a remote antenna, NOT the telephones built-in antenna)
3) in the case of the above, reduces the power transmission of the telephone because it has a better antenna connected. Modern telephones dynamically control the power output
4) Charges the telephone (and in any case the battery will last longer because of effects in 3) )

When the telephone is in the pocket, and possible harmful effects are increased, because the telephone will normally be in a poor radio location - shielded by your body (!) and the car's metalwork, so will actually increase it's tranmission power to retain contact with the network and make calls.

This will have the effect of reducing battery life, and possibly frying your genitalia.

Don't forget telephones transmit every 10 to 17 minutes or so just to remind the network that they are 'still there'. If you are moving around, the tranmissions are more frequent. These transmissions occur even if you are not making calls and the telephone is just on standby.

:nerd:

Simon
Simon Taylor
phooto
JohnM

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by JohnM »

Actually, the rate the phone transmits to the network is controlled by the operator and can be determined on a cell by cell basis.

Most operators keep this timer around the hour mark, in some cases it will be shorted but mainly the timer will be longer rather than shorter. In sparsely populated and non-built up areas the timer is longer.

Simon's right too about the phone power - if you're in a call and the phone is right next to a transmitter, the phone will power down (to save battery life and improve network quality).

;-)

John.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Re: Carkits & Z4

Post by greg_ch »

blackie36 wrote:I'm struggling to find the answer to a question relating to my Z4 which I have on order. Looking at standard cars in the dealership, the centre console between the seats has a barebone caddy for a mobile to clip into (using the relevant adaptor).

1. I understand that bluetooth is one option - is it worth forking out for the bluetooth option? (I already have multifunction steering wheel on the car).

2. If I go with a standard Nokia type car kit, does this interface into the phone holder between the seats & radio or does it have to be a completely separate mounting / installation?

3. How does handsfree perform in a soft top car? Can you actually here callers with the roof down?

Any views or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!
I have this option and find it very usefull. For q 1 I would say yes especialy if you make a lot of calls in the car, and to question 3 I would say that up to about 80k's is fine and at 100k's its ok, but no faster.