z3 front speakers.. 6.5" straight fit, no drilling!!

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Z3cade

M roadster S50

z3 front speakers.. 6.5" straight fit, no drilling!!

Post by Z3cade »

Hi guys after upgrading the rear speakers i thought i should now think about upgrading the fronts.
I have read other threads and from the pictures there seams to be an amp attatched to the front left speaker? if i replace the standard speakers with something else can i still use the original wires with the amp still wired in or do i have to completely re-wire from the new headunit?
I take it the amp is there to amplify the speakers and not a pre amp for the original headunit? Cheers
Last edited by Z3cade on Mon 25 Jan, 2010 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

The amp is a booster for bot front footrwell speakers.

Try a search for "speaker amp" as this has been discussed many times before and there is some good info already posted.

Si.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

After looking for a set of speakers to upgrade the footwells i decided i wanted the biggest size possible and came across the Fusion 6.5" range..

They come in 6.5"size but have two sets of fixing holes 5.25" / 6.5" and will fit into most 5.25" holes!
so they are perfect for the Z3 footwells..... :)

The set i have were from a previous car that i had stashed away in the cuboard collecting dust.. so they are a 3 way speaker but if i was to buy a new set i would recomend the Fusion component set as they have the same fixing holes..

Heres some pictures of my DIY fitment...

First the footwell covers and standard speakers were removed. You can see the multi fixing holes in the fusion 6.5`s

The amp on the left hand speaker was fixed to the new speaker using miter glue and sealant and simply conected back up and fitted back in place

The speaker was fitted on the drivers side simply by a direct replacement of the standard.

As these speakers were 3 way the tweeters stuck out quite far and as a result the standard footwell cover would not go back inplace as it fouled the tweeters but if you had a componant set you wouldnt have this problem. As for these i fitted the Fusion covers and decided to modify the footwell covers... Quite easy if your handy with an angle grinder...

The footwell covers were then put back into place and if i dont say so myself looked pritty good.... :)

Job done!! :D
W444 LKR

M roadster S50

Post by W444 LKR »

Top thread Z3cade, cheers for the advice been looking at changing the front speakers (changed the rear ones but that was quite easy, the fronts are a bit trickier) :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Z3 front speakers.. 6.5" straight fit, no drilling!!

maybe,..... but I think you have perhaps oversimplified this mod in the title,
I looked at this and then realised I would have to carry out major surgery on the trim panels instead!
Where's my drill? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

W4 LKR wrote:Top thread Z3cade, cheers for the advice been looking at changing the front speakers (changed the rear ones but that was quite easy, the fronts are a bit trickier) :)
Cheers. If you go for any 5.25" speaker or a 6.5" Fusion componant speaker you`ll be fine and fitting will be quite easy with no drilling or cover modifications needed.

The only thing that you need to do is find away to fix the speaker amp onto the left speaker. I used miter glue and a dob of silicone for an instant fixing. Or you could bypass the amp by re-wiring.

Hope that helps :)
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

gookah wrote:
Z3 front speakers.. 6.5" straight fit, no drilling!!

maybe,..... but I think you have perhaps oversimplified this mod in the title,
I looked at this and then realised I would have to carry out major surgery on the trim panels instead!
Where's my drill? :D
I only had to modify my speaker panels because the speakers i used had tweeters that touched the panels. If they were a componant set with no tweeters the panels wouldnt have had to be modified :)
lycrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by lycrake »

I got the component version of these speakers, and they are great, fitted them this weekend and really made a difference. Better than some £80 Pioneers I had in the front, have now moved those ones to the rear (as they are 5.25")
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

lycrake wrote:I got the component version of these speakers, and they are great, fitted them this weekend and really made a difference. Better than some £80 Pioneers I had in the front, have now moved those ones to the rear (as they are 5.25")
Glad to see someone went for the component set :) they are a good set of speakers for the price.