New Sound System

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

New Sound System

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Hi Guys,

I got my hands on the following DEH-6900IBthe other day and am looking at getting these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pioneer-TS-G1013i ... 5ad720386c

Good choice for the rear?

I will also hook up a TS-WX22Ain the boot
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

All looks good, but could I recommend fitting the subwoofer in the front somewhere? The boot of the Z is so sealed away from the driver that it might not give the performance that you would expect, you'd lose so much sound, especially from 150w of power, and treat your neighbours to your bass!
The blurb shows the sub could be fitted under seats (although the jiggery pokery under the setas of a Z might take up too much room) maybe fit it under the glove compartment? Or behind one of the seats should you be short enough to have seat forward a bit! I know there is even a sub build on the site somewhere of a monster sub in the passenger footwell!
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Thanks for the info.

After fitting the head unit, the sound is more concentrated to the front of the car so I won't bother with the rear speakers.. :wink:

I've gone for a set of 70w rms components for the front.. so hope they spruce it up a bit :-)

I'll see about the woofer.. I have to have the seat back :P and I don't trust the passengers not to but the seat all the way back and squish the woofer :roll: I can always move it once I see what it's like sure
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

There were tests done, only 1/4 of the sound fro
the boot makes it into the cabin. There is some foam behind the passenger seat carpet that could be removed to make some space, else look up what used ro be roadstersounds on google.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
mv70

M roadster S50

Post by mv70 »

estocks wrote: look up what used ro be roadstersounds on google.
Mabey
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/produ ... Subwoofer/
or
http://www.roadstersound.com/product_info/bmw_z3.htm
can help :)
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Thanks for the links, checked them out last night.. christ they're expensive!

If there's a cheaper solution let me know :lol:
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Well, I bought a set of speakers for the front.. 70w rms. Hooked them up through the existing AMP, sound is crap! Hooked them through the AMP AND the crossover box supplied with the speakers.. sound is crap too!

Then, I connected the speakers directly to the head unit through the 2 correct pins on the BMW connector, and then through the crossover box supplied with the speakers.. sound was still crap, but I think it may be the speakers.. no bass compared to the originals :?

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?
Last edited by Wolverine_1999 on Mon 08 Mar, 2010 17:39, edited 2 times in total.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You got an amp with the speakers? Are you referring to the crossovers? :?
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

estocks wrote:You got an amp with the speakers? Are you referring to the crossovers? :?
Yes, crossovers, sorry. Box which segregates the 5.25" speaker from the tweeter
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

It just needs the power behind it, and behind you! To explain: The speakers are in such a poor position in the footwell (next to your feet, not nearer your head, y'know, where your ears are!) that any depth to the sound is lost. Firstly, try tuning your amplifier if it hasn't already been done, there are some good guides on youtube. Also, if you can, get a subwoofer between the seats in the parcel thingy. It doesn't have to be big heavy duty, for example, I have an 8" Rainbow sub fitted at the moment. I know the roadstersound box is very very expensive, but if you do a search on this site there is a good build on there that costs a fraction of a roadstersound box! Your components seem good quality from the blurb and manufacturer, I think its just a case of tweaking the amp and fitting a subwoofer to add some depth.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

In fact, on the site as I type, this topic popped up!

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24518