Bluetooth

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Bluetooth

Post by **Z3** »

Does anyone know if BMW do a bluetooth radio for the Z or know of an alternative?

Thanks
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

BMW do all sorts of bluetooth, but it's a really large and moreover expensive retrofit.

You might be better off with a new bluetooth headunit with iPod support from Becker or Alpine. Check you don't have a footwell amp to deal with, as most cars had this terrible setup.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Z3, most people fit aftermarket head units as estocks says above.

Really boils down to "style" and price as there is plenty of choice of units with integrated Bluetooth nowadays.

Some people prefer "flashy" units with disco lights and big screens that pop out and others prefer more "sombre" units that are more in line with the retro styling of the Z3.

One limiting factor though is how close a match to the cars coloured illumination you want ?

There are plenty of historic threads on here about the footwell speaker amp and how to get around this (most headunits have the amp built in so you have to bypass/remove the OEM amp that is built into the passenger speaker unit).

I asusme you are looking for a striaght headunit replacement. You can of course take further with upgraded speaker components and seperate amps etc....

The standard Z3 stuff may not be the best but to be honest with a decent headunit I think its fine for my use :wink:

If you search on Alpine or Becker you will find some more up to date threads on more current models with pics of them installed in peoples cars.

I went for the Becker as it has all features including the best ipod integration I have ever seen +bluetooth + sat nav and it just looks "right" in the Z3 but it is expensive. Some of the Alpines look very good for a lot less money.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

I have just bought a Sony BT2700 which has built in Bluetooth for phone and music streaming.

If I'm being honest, the quality of the Bluetooth phone connection is not as good as a Parrott system I had in my last car, but is perfectly acceptable. This is probably because the old sytem had a seperate mic, so was closer.

The quality of the sound system is excellent, as you would expect from Sony, although, the bright blue display might not be to everybody's taste, but it does have a dimmer function.

I bought it from Halfords a couple of weeks ago for the bargain sale price of £99. They are currently on Ebay for well over a £100.

All in all, I would certainly recormend it.

Simon
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Yep, sony makes great gear, and there 1 wire iPod/USB stuff is very clever.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Malcolm E Zed

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Malcolm E Zed »

Fit a Parrot
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

I have to say I copied jonttt and fitted the Becker Cascade and what a superb unit it is too.

What has not been said, which is a real plus for me is... MP3's can be stored and played directly from the CF card which contains the maps. so no need for an iplayer.

Of course you will need to copy the map files to a bigger CF. mine is 4Gb
jj29

blank.gif

Bluetooth

Post by jj29 »

Ive just had an alpine head unit fitted - handsfree and B/T capability. under £300 supplied and fitted. CLosely matches the dash illumination colour too (which was a major consideration)