New Road Angel Question

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Road Angel Question

Post by Geoff H »

Anybody who has one fitted do I need a extra antenna as stated in the clip from the quick ref guide, before drive 40 miles to get one (hard to find anybody who has them in stock) and find it doesn't work without one.

Note: Certain vehicles (in particular some models of BMW, Mercedes, Renault
Peugeot & Citroen) have UV screens that block the GPS signals from entering the
vehicle, which can stop ROAD ANGEL from acquiring its position. These vehicles
require an additional antenna to support ROAD ANGEL (please contact Blackspot
Interactive Ltd. for details). Heated screens can also affect signal strength.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

no,it works fine with the z3,no problems,ok,just try it out,first time gps signal may take a little time to come up,but after that,mine takes around 1 minute,go find some camera,s just to see how it works and you can ajust the settings to suit you,i have turned off on mine,school alerts and blackspot alerts as it was going off all the time,good luck,remember to update though your pc every day if you travel a lot :D
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Add Vauxhall Zafira to the list of dodgy windscreens (not sure why you'd want a Road Angel in one of those in the first place). I only know, because I know someone who has one by the way :wink:

All BMWs I have tried with GPS have been fine, including those with sun protection glass in the rear, and climate comfort windscreens.
Simon Taylor
phooto
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

my road angel has been in 5 ford galaxy,s ,2 ford mondeo,s ,3 ford transits ,2 ford focus,s ,1 rover 100, 1 ford fiesta,all with no problems :D :D road angel twists round a little sometimes,but found if you push it back a little it stays in place fine
today put in z3m for the first time,fell off twice :head: :head: ,so have had to put an elastic-band round it to hold it to the mount,honest it just twists right round or falls off, so £399 plus 50p for the bands,anybody else had this,i dont want to put that little sticky round pad straight on the dash either
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I did get one on Sunday, I phoned round a dozen places, nobody had any instock, the shop I found had 6 come in, 3 sold on Saturday, mine on Sunday morning which left 1 plus the display one. Online they are saying 21 days wait now. I too find it wants to twist round using the screen mount, so I've put the power cable through the back of the screen mount and that holds it in place a lot better. I seem to pick up cameras alerts near petrol stations a lot, even the car park camera at my local Bowling centre shows up, anybody else getting these warnings ?
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

yep ,picked a camera warning up at a train level crossing as well
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Angel ???

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Geoff H, Maybe its the Mobile Phone Masts, located at Petrol Stations--Maybe inside Display signs, after an outcry from local residents.
I am not far away from Road Angel HQ---in the Country----when I go past their Mast , the "warnings" Go ballistic . I have also Rubber banded to keep in position, No prob.A warning!!!!!!!!! :head: Never leave the Bracket on Display, Slime will break-in hoping you put Angel in Glove Comp.
safetyfast
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

ad pet snake,viper to glovebox :D :P
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Thanks ZZZEMMCO I put it in the boot this morning while I was TenPin Bowling as I leave the top down while in there , just a pain not being able to connect it up and leave it set up, but thats the times we are living in, you're only a few miles away from me, expect it's the same where you are
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Not sure about these false alarms you are getting - the Road Angel does not detect radar, or mobile phone masts, the only possible interference you might get would be optical interference if using a New Road Angel with the built-in laser detector, or an old-style RA with the plug-in detector.

So the mast and radio interference is a red herring IMHO. The main 'detection' system is of course the GPS with the internal database. Mobile phone masts etc do not screw up GPS enough to cause these problems.

Suggest you take another look/think, but I will alert the RA people to this thread for comment.

Simon
Simon Taylor
phooto
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

As I turn the corner Tescos Petrol station is on my right, the camera icon comes on, (can't remember if it bleeped will check tomorrow), as soon as I turn the next corner (that is the length of the garage) it goes off the screen. same in the TenPin Bowling Centre as I turn to go down the side of the building its on screen, turn out of the car park and it's off screen. I thought it had picked up the cctv cameras. It is the new Road Angel 2
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Can you let us know where exactly (in case there's a problem with the database). No promises, but may be able to get an answer!
Simon Taylor
phooto
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Thanks, I'll have a drive out this morning, got to go down to the bowl today anyway, I downloaded update's to it on Monday
Steve
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Steve »

I've given up with the windscreen mount / magnetic base. :head:
It twists round constantly and on the Beachy Head cruise, when I floored it, it ended up between the seats. If fact, that day was it's first outing and it ended up in the boot :x
I've resorted to a Black heavy duty velco pad and it's fine.
I don't get false alerts.
My only problem now is not being able to make out the voice alerts.
This is the response I got from RA:-

The Voice Alerts are a lot lower in warning mode than they are on the 'Road Angel' start-up voice. This is because on power up the Road Angel is not trying to do anything else. The Voice Alert volume is proportional to the alert volume you have set, it cannot be adjusted independently of any other warnings.
If you set your volume to full, this is the loudest that you can get on the Voice Alerts.

What now?????
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Correcting my previous post, it does seem that climate comfort windscreens block GPS signals, so cars with these fitted will need an external antenna to use Road Angel successfully.
Simon Taylor
phooto