Advice on new head unit and speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
67Mustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Advice on new head unit and speakers

Post by 67Mustang »

I've recently bought my first Z3 (a '99 1.9 auto with hard top - will post some pics when I get round to taking them), which was perfect timing for the sunny weather over the weekend (even in Scotland!). I've already found a wealth of great information on this forum and hopefully will eventually be able to contribute myself.

One of the first things I want to do is put in a new audio head unit with bluetooth and MP3/ USB/ iPod connections and believe me, I think I have read just about every post on here about the footwell speaker amp in particular.

I have removed the passenger footwell speaker to confirm that I have the dreaded amp attached. Hopefully the amp is relatively easy to remove (I believe just remove one screw and then pull it away from the speaker).

I'm thinking of getting the Alpine CDE-103BT head unit, which seems to be a good fit with the Z3 interior/ dash lights and has all the options I'm looking for (the Becker units do look more 'stock' but are of course a lot more expensive). I may also get some new front speakers while I'm at it (maybe Edge ED305's?).

A previous post from ribs a while ago (http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ote+turnon) provided a very useful picture of what to do to bypass the amp (at least I think that's what it was showing, as I have no real experience with car audio/ electrics). I just wanted to confirm a few things to see whether I can do it myself or if I need to get some help:

- when it says "connect blue/black to blue/violet" on the post/ picture noted above, does this mean to cut these wires and then join them together?
- if I wanted to keep the existing speakers, can I then just fit the Alpine head unit with no additional wiring (I also have the ISO adaptor)?
- if I want to fit new speakers as well, do I need to run new speaker wires from the Alpine head unit, or can I use the existing wires?

Apologies for the newbie questions, but just want to make sure I don't do any irreversible damage or electrocute myself!

Cheers
brent49

blank.gif

change

Post by brent49 »

hi recently changed my head unit too and to the same one your thinking about,I can recomend it.just remember fitting it will make your sub woofer inactive as only the karmen head units have the fitting for it.
I personally went for focal speakers in the footwells 100 quid but well worth it.still using the original ones in the doors for the time being.as for the sub ive bought a kenwood k scsw01quite small but sounds good,ive taken out the old sub and took the top off between the hoops and laid it there speaker facing up fits pretty well,im going to get some mdf make a template of the lid and make a cover using some mesh material to match the upholstery will take pics as i go along good luck
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: change

Post by Jonttt »

brent49 wrote:.......just remember fitting it will make your sub woofer inactive as only the karmen head units have the fitting for it.
???

I assume you are referring to the HK sub woofer housed in the centre between/behind the seats ? The original OP does not have the HK setup and was referring to the amp housed with the passenger door speaker.

Also for info you can still retain the HK am and subwoofer with a non OEM headunit but ideally the replacement head unit should have "pre outs" ie unamplified outs to pass to the HK amp. You don't need to rewire but may need to use conversion adaptors / adapt connections to the non OEM unit. (it will still work with amplified outputs but its not recommended to pass an already amplified signal through another amp)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster