Remote Central Locking

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Remote Central Locking

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Ive had the car a few weeks now, and the one thing that has been bugging me is the remote central locking not working. When I got the car it only came with 1 key, so i naturally thought perhaps the battery was dead, i got it checked, the battery was ok, so i thought perhaps it was the key. I got another Key from BMW which cost over £100 and they couldnt program it to the car. It works manually like the original but when you press the buttons it does nothing.

Since then I left the car in to get looked at by BMW and after 2 supposed hours of looking at it, they were none the wiser! The Keys work fine manually in the door, but the car just does nothing when you press the buttons! Im just wondering has anyone else ever had any bother and what was it that was causing the problem and how did it get sorted?

Thanks in advance again!
Chris
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

With INPAyou can query the alarm system for errors, identify the active key number, check its serial number, query the hex mileage data stored on it, with NCS expert you can change the car key memory settings...
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
mattdedasc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mattdedasc »

I'm having the same problem. It worked fine until a few days ago, and then, nothing.

The light flickers on the remote when i click the buttons, but no sign from the car.

Is it a fuse or something?
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

The INPA is probably a fantastic way of solving a multitude of problems. I for one havent got INPA working yet. If i did get it working, I would be quite happy to lend it to forum members to help solve their problems.

I'm not too sure about the remote system fitted as standard. I dont have any problems per se, but im not sure of how the functions of the alarm work with the roof down. i.e. how do i protect my car with the roof down?
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The keys can lose sync with the car. Sometimes they come back on their own (it is a cyclic code, so a few presses can bring it back into sync), but sometimes the car has to be retaught the key. This seems to be easier with the older housebrick style fobs.

The alarm does work with the roof down and should not go off too easily (i.e. when the wind blows). Leave the windows up to stop anyone reaching in. Beware though, as some insurers insist that you leave the roof up when parked.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

There seems to be loads of advice on this z forum regarding the 'brick' key fob losing its ability to open the doors, i too am in this situation at the moment with. two keys fobs and neither working, i have at moment got glove box out, and having to drive car with indicator/hazard light fuse out and siren turned off!! Not ideal :head:
And i can say with it is a right pain in the backside!!
Can anyone tell me why this is quite a common problem, and how when i cure the fault evenyually i can stop it happening again??