Powering front speakers with HU off

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Powering front speakers with HU off

Post by VikingSven »

I've just connected my ioPlay up in the Z3, and need some advice regarding the front speakers.
Basically the ioPlay connects between the HU and the speaker wiring loom, and streams bluetooth audio to the car speakers. In my Focus, I could leave the HU off all the time, and just use the ioPlay for my music. In the Z3 however, if I turn the HU off, the front speakers don't work. If I turn the HU on, anytime there's nothing playing on the ioPlay (like at the end of a track), whatever's playing on the HU comes through the speakers again, which is annoying.
What's the easiest way to get the front speakers to be powered separately to the HU?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This is the secondary amp on the front speakers playing up. As I found when fitting an aftermarket HU, there is a wire, which on my loom was labelled "remote control", which must be connected to turn the amp on. It sounds very much like this is being activated by the HU, but not your ioPlay. I think in your situation, the simplest thing to do is to bypass the amp, as I doubt there will be a connection you can use on the ioPlay. There was a thread earlier this week on the very subject, with links to a thread showing how to bypass it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc