BMW Business CD Question

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BMW Business CD Question

Post by Dave L2 »

Mt 3.0 came with a Business Radio/Cassette player, which was quickly changed for a Pioneer SatNav unit soon after purchase.

The Pioneer is nearing the end of it's life, I can't update the maps, it is unreliable and it's too big for the car so doesn't really look right.

I want to replace it with a Becker unit at some point in the future (USB, Blutooth, DAB, etc.) but for now I was thinking that a second hand Business CD head unit would suffice.

My question is will the OEM CD fit straight in or was it part of the Harman Kardon upgrade that I do not have?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I would think the OEM CD unti would fit stright in.

Note its the same as the Rover unit of the same era and there were/are plenty for sale on eBay with little ///M badges covering the Rover logo. They should work fine but depends if you want a genuine BMW one ?

The BMW ones are usually much more expensive :head: but I managed to get one for £25 a few weeks ago (to add to my Z3 collection :wink: ).

I'm not sure Becker do DAB (unless they have just stated doing them ?)

There is one for sale on Z3mcoupe (I'm out of touch with prices so not sure if its a good price or not). With the Becker its important to make sure you get the correct display colour (the Cascade model is prgrammable colours :wink: )

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10114
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Thanks Johntt. I don't know if Becker do DAB yet either, but it was a "nice to have" list.

I've seen the ones on ebay with the M stickers, but I'm looking to pay something closer to the price you paid. I'm not prepared to pay £130+ for a temporary replacement.

The Pioneer works well enough for me to stick with it if a temp replacement is going to cost me >£50, but if I can find a bargin then that would be great.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

As always for best bargains the one I picked up was not really described correctly so most searches would have missed it :D
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Do you just spend your day randomly surfing ebay, on the off chance that a Schnizter suspesion has been wrongly described a pair of socks ;)

I'm watching a couple of Rover ones ATM.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Dave L2 wrote:Do you just spend your day randomly surfing ebay, on the off chance that a Schnizter suspesion has been wrongly described a pair of socks ;)

I'm watching a couple of Rover ones ATM.
Lol, I have some IT geeks at work do it for me :D
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Have a look at my journal at the bottom of this post. I have a rover unit and if fit perfectly! The sound quality is excellent. I fitted a dice iPod kit to it and it has transormed my stereo ( compared to my old Sony x-crap unit)

I paid £65 for the stereo delivered, £105 for the dice unit and I had an old ///M badge to cover up the rover badge. I can conferm the eBay unit with th M badge for £130 are infact the rover/ mg/ range rover units. Save yourself 65 quid and get a rover eBay special

hope this helps :thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I picked one up on the Bay of Fleas last night for £62. It even has the screw end caps, which it seems many don't :D