Speaker issues - no twweters or front speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
colinhelen

Z3 roadster 1.8

Speaker issues - no twweters or front speakers

Post by colinhelen »

HI. I know this has been posted before and I've tried to see if anyone has had this exact issue before but: My 1997 1.9 Z3 had a really poor sounding Sony Xplod hifi and the rear speakers sounded really woolly at low volume, with no sound at all from either front speakers or tweeters (there is no sub as there's storage in the back, so does it still have tweeters?) I just purchased a Clarion and the correct Autoleads connector. Each of the leads in the connector has a partner in the wiring loom of the Z3 so there doesn't appear to be a missing lead. No leads on the Z3 loom have been cut so I can't see that there's any power lead not connected......The rf aerial lead on the Z3 doesn't fit the Clarion as it's a short plug and the Clarion has a standard socket but I can put a new plug on that , no issues.

However there is still no sound from the front speakers. And the back ones are better, but still woolly.

Assuming it's still a connection issue on the front, if I cut out the amplifier by cutting whatever wire is needed (again, advice as to best method would be appreciated), will I then get tweeters and front speakers? Or should the tweeters be working anyway at this point. And, of course, I need to replace the rear speakers - preferable without altering any of the trim etc. Halfords seem to do a decent range - does anyone know the best ones to get that will drop straight in?

Any help would be much appreciated. Colin
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You may have a different problem as I seem to remember that my tweeters worked when the footwell speakers did not.

The extra "remote control" wire seemed to be in addition to those that were in the connector to my pioneer. You need to look closely at the big BMW connector at the back - this plugs into a BMW to ISO adapter and then you normally have another adapter that goes from ISO to your stereo. There are a lot of wires in the back of there!

Standard stereo definitely does include tweeters in the doors though.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc