New Headunit - Not powering off along with other power issue

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
shantybeater

Porsche

New Headunit - Not powering off along with other power issue

Post by shantybeater »

Right Since installing my new speakers/amp I installed the aftermarket sony headunit which the previous owner had fitted - this works fine/powers down correctly etc..

My new Pioneer headunit turned up today, so i used the existing converter from the sony headunit (to convert from the BMW block connector). I plugged this into the pioneers loom and the headunit powers up fine, all functions work correctly etc..

Now the strange bit, the headunit doesnt respond at all when you turn the ignition off and remove the key - it just stays on!. I removed the faceplate which seems to make it turn off but the mileage indicator on the dash stays lit! The car also wont respond to the remote central locking and will only allow me to lock the car via key!!!

Any ideas what this could be? I cant see why the dash is linked to the HU's power at all?
Last edited by shantybeater on Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Spooky :shock:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Check the Pioneer to ISO adapter. I had a similar problem with an Altezza and a Sony adapter, the wires had to be interchanged on the red and yellow (permanent and ignition lives) to work correctly. Look in the manual for the wiring.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Check the permanant positive and switched positive some head units require these to be switched around. It maybe this which is causing the switched positive in the car to be still powered up through the head unit. Head unit wiring usually allows for the positive wires to be switched over quite easily so shouldn't be too difficult to at try and see if this is the problem.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Jonttt wrote:Spooky :shock:
You could try here:

Click

Jim :devil:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Thanks for all the replies, you guys were spot on! the seller had decided to connect the red & yellow cables altogether!! once i'd split them and run red to red & yellow to yellow all is working normally!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi