Does such a head unit exist????

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
danteblitz

blank.gif

Does such a head unit exist????

Post by danteblitz »

Hi there.

Im looking to upgrade the sound in my zed. Currently it has the basic BMW business unit in there. One requirement is that the unit does not have a face off. I want the unit to always sit there and not require me to take the face off whenever I leave the car. I also want the unit to match the current interior as closeley as possible and have a seamless fit.

Finally all my music will come from a usb key. ideally I would like the unit to support flac files (no loss in audio quality) as opposed to mp3's but I dont even think there are any units that currently support flac. I will instead be playing 320kbs mp3s.

I was planning on keeping the BMW business unit and installing a Dension Gateway 300 to allow me to play music off a usb key (controlled by cd changer port). The key would be hidden in the glove box and be completeley out of sight. See here for more info:

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_ ... od_Car_Kit

I was also thinking of replacing the standard speakers with some Focal Access 5 1/2".

Ive read on this forum though that the BMW business produces rubbish sound so upgrading the speakers may not help that much.

Does anyone know of any headunits that therefore:

- Match the interior of the zed and fit perfectly in the current stereo bay
- Have usb key support (from the back of the unit)
- Do not require me to remove the face every time I leave the vehicle
- Produce excellent sound quality

If anyone has any reccomendations please let me know.[/url]
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I've got a Becker Mexico Pro in my Coupe, it looks stock and doesn't stand out;

Mine has a redder illumination that matches better than that yellow colour in the picture. Supports WMA/MP3 and also Ipod but requires another cable. Sound quality isn't that different to stock headunit IMO though, better speakers might help though.
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

Does the becker allow me to play mp3 files from a usb key?
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

danteblitz wrote:Does the becker allow me to play mp3 files from a usb key?
No there is no USB socket on the Becker

If you buy the Becker cascade usually available on ebay and ebay.de, it is possible to play mp3's from the CF card which the maps are stored on.

http://www.mybecker.com/www_root/docume ... B_0408.pdf

Becker no longer make after market headunits so ebay is probably the best bet. Make sure it comes with GPS antenna and mic.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Even better, get the ipod interface cable, hook up an old 40gb ipod and you have the best ipod interface I've ever seen :D

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

I like this idea.

Which model do you have or reccomend??

Im looking on ebay.de and prices range for different models. Some are 900 euros.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Becker cascade

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I've got the Becker cascade, great bit of kit! sat nav, blue tooth, 15 colour screen choices to match your dash perfectly. Ebay purchase from a guy 10 mins away luckily. :D
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

How much do they go for roughly?
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

danteblitz wrote:How much do they go for roughly?
I paid £243 for mine from ebay with the V4 nav :D
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Mine £300, but had original box, manuals, mic, code etc.
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

Do you guys have the 7944 model?
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Mine is, with the v4 mapping. You can take the compact flash card out which has the mapping on if your journeys are say northwest based the unit stores local maps but it would need replacing if you were going down to London from Manchester. I've got a Sandisk extreme II 8gb card with mp3's on it which stays in the head unit most of the time. The disadvantage of this is it plays the tracks like shuffle rather than an entire album. The ipod kit is on the to do list but i keep finding other mods first. Hope that helps.
p.s I was told that the Becker would only recognise the Sandisk cards! :)
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

How about the PARROT RKI-8400 it's down side (for you) is the removeable front fascia but it does have alot of plus points.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARROT-RKI-8400-R ... 4cedb9a089
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

('_')Z3 wrote:Mine £300, but had original box, manuals, mic, code etc.
That was a good buy I had to buy a GPS antenna for mine.
Did you find yours worked ok without :?:

Regarding playing tracks as shuffle rather than albums, if you prefer, a program called http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php will quickly organise them as albums or anything else for that matter.

I think you are right about using Sandisk CF cards
I have a 4gb with maps and music and a 2gb just with music.

I must say i do like the ipod interface in jonttt's photo. I would probably go for that if I had an ipod 8-)
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Cheers for that just wish i knew what to do with it:lol: Came with the gps so don't know if it worked without. Used to have a BMW cd53? unit before, was pants :shock: Jontt recommended the Becker and when installed was blown away by the improvement (but i aint no music sound guru).