HELP Speedo stopped working?

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
conan

Z3 roadster 3.0i

HELP Speedo stopped working?

Post by conan »

Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place to post,but the guy who im getting my z3 off on Friday has told me that the speedo has stopped working..

Its a 2002 3.0 manual

Is this a big job?
Should i not buy this car?
Whats the most that it can cost to fix please?

Hopefully its not too much of a big job :(
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Almost impossible to say as it could be caused by many different things. A couple of guesses:

The sensor has died.
The wiring loom between the sensor and the ECU is broken or a connector has come loose.
The speedo gauge has died.
The instrument cluster has lost power or died.

If you have access to the car, it is possible to run some self-tests on the odometer/instrument cluster to check the gauge and that the ECU has a speed reading. If you don't have access to the car, can you at least find out if the other gauges are all working?

I would be inclined to insist that he gets it fixed if you want to limit your costs.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

My whole panel stopped working earlier this year for a couple of days. :( .. then came back on its own :) . Try and get someone local with the computer Diagnostics..an independent will cost half as much as a dealer.. hope things work out cheaply
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
conan

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by conan »

Many thanks boys.
Good advice methinks,ive put it on hold for now,the seller is going to get it sorted for me before i buy it. :D
Back to the wait LOL,deffo dont want to buy one that needs sorting as soon as i get it :roll:

Thank you again :D

Conan

PS Robert the other guages are functioning fine i believe..
kate21

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Same thing happened to me

Post by kate21 »

My speedo stopped working just a week ago - I thought it might be the cold weather as it comes back on when the car gets warmer - but took it into the garage, tunrs out to be faulty bulb!
For rs6 mats visit rs6mats.co.uk
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I know the sensor on mine (2.2 sport) broke and was simple to replace, it just fits into the diff, I think it cost about £15 :|
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
conan

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by conan »

Yep that was the fault with mine,tho it wasnt a £15 fix,it was £173 OUCH!! :roll:

Thankfully the seller fixed it for me (paid too) and im a happy bunny,its a lovely car,heated seats,elec roof,upgraded stereo etc..Lubbly jubbly

Conan
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Glad its sorted, enjoy. Is it a 3.0 sport and more importantly....is it Silver :?: :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Hi Conan,
Top car Top colour,never mind the speedo,just enjoy the rev counter flying into the red ,and the growl of the exhaust,wonderfull. :wink:
Maurice