Dension Gateway 300 install problem

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
danteblitz

blank.gif

Dension Gateway 300 install problem

Post by danteblitz »

Hey guys,

Merry Xmas.

Had some time free over holidays so have been trying to install my dension gateway 300 in my z3. I have BMW business head unit. Have installed as per instructions and everything appears in correct place.

However I cannot get the CD chnager mode on the headunit. I only have FM and Tape modes. :(

Has anyone ever installed a gateway into their zed? Any ideas what I might be doin wrong??

Thx in advance.
hornel Z3M

blank

tape

Post by hornel Z3M »

Its probably not compatible, i bought a CD Changer A and that doesnt work with my Radio/CD player, but is probably the right one for your unit.
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

It should be compatable according to Dension's webite and documentation. :(
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I can't comment on the compatibility oF the Dennison Gateway but I can tell you of our experience since replacing the head unit.
The primary intention was to free up space in the boot by removing the CD hump.
At the time my wife wanted to retain the capability of playing CDs so we installed a head unit with a single CD slot.
In practice we have never used the CD facility given the alternative USB or iPod sources.
My advice to you would be to stop trying to make the multi changer work, and simply get rid of it!
The extra space is likley to be worth far more than the head scratching :!:
Image :devil:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Oops - double post - damn this new mouse!
Image :devil:
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

:arrow:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Titan wrote:In practice we have never used the CD facility given the alternative USB or iPod sources.
Ditto. In fact I haven't used the iPod function either - one small memory stick in the ashtray is all that is required. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

According to this site http://densionice.co.uk/DensionGateway300.aspx you need the 400 to be able to use the Changer and the Gateway.

[Edit]
Further aimless wandering around the web suggests that maybe the above comment is bollocks, but you do need a "Changer Retention Kit" though.

Does the Gateway present a standard "USB A" socket in the glovebox that a datastick or USB to Mini USB lead could be plugged into?
Last edited by Dave L2 on Mon 27 Dec, 2010 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

I dont have the cd changer and dont intend on using it.

The gateway 300 works by fooling the headunit into beileiving its the cd changer, allowing me to select and play mp3's from my usb key in the dash.

It has a cd changer plug that I inserted into the back of the headunit. According to their manual when I switch the headunit on I should get a cd mode. But i dont.

I have been speaking to dension's technical support and sent them some diagnostic info. They told me everything appears to be installed correctly and suggested that maybe the headunit doesnt support cd changer. However it has a cd changer port on the back of it and whilst the car doesnt have a cd changer it had a cable plugged into it before i installed the gateway.

Has anyone else ever successfully installed a dension gateway in their zed?
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Sorry, misunderstood your question, along with a few others it seems.

I guess if you don't have a CD changer button on your HU then it's not going to work as you won't be able to switch the HU into Changer mode. However this is all guesswork, so I'll wait with you for someone who has one fitted to come along and confirm if it will work.
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I bought a Dension kit for my Range Rover some years ago - a cradle for my iPod with built-in charger - I had it installed for less than a week - alternor sound came through the speakers - it was awfull!!!

Now I had good old fashion tape for the radio - not the best but it works!!

In the Zed I have a fully automatic kit that fools the radio to believe thére is a cd-charger in the boot:

http://www.caraudio24.de/Zubehoer/iPod/ ... eisroboter

Press the "CD" button twice to choose between the cd in the radio or the iPod - piece of pie!! - with built-in charger.... cost: 99 euros...
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
danteblitz

blank.gif

Does the CD changer need to be enabled by bmw???

Post by danteblitz »

Hey guys,

The Gateway basically plugs into the cd changer port of the bmw Business head unit and fools it to thinking a cd changer is present. it then allows you to play mp3's from a usb key or ipod from the hu's cd changer mode.

I have connected it up ok (its pretty easy). However no matter what I do the cd changer mode does not show up on the head unit. Pressing the mode button only switches between 'Radio' and 'Tape'.

I spoke to Dension support and sent them a diagnostic file that the unit creates on the usb key when you plug it in. They confirmed that its all connected correctly but couldnt tell me why the cd changer mode is not showing on the hu.

They asked if the headunit supports cd changers. My zed has never had a cd changer in it (from what i know). The headunit did have a cd changer cable plugged into the back of it though.

On the Dension and the retailer's site it shows that the Gateway 300 is compatable with a 99 z3 and a bmw business headunit.

Before purchasing the gateway I remember reading in a forum somewhere that the headunit or zed needs to be activated by bmw in order to enable the cd changer mode.

I have since tried to find the post but can't. :(

Does anyone know if this is true. Do I need to have the cd changer mode activated by bmw or someone else.

Any advice is welcome.
EN

BMW other

Re: Does the CD changer need to be enabled by bmw???

Post by EN »

danteblitz wrote:...

Does anyone know if this is true. Do I need to have the cd changer mode activated by bmw or someone else.

Any advice is welcome.
It's true with more recent/new cars (e.g. e61 2006). At BMW dealer it has been enabled to work with CD changer. Hence, i'd assume, it might have been same story before...
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Guys,

The issue here is to do with iBus. ALL the aftermarket iPod and Aux connections for BMW of our era are designed for the BMW iBus (communication protocol used by E46, E39, etc..). The Z3 with a CD changer A and radio/tape head unit is NOT iBus. The single CD head unit IS iBus. the reason these websites say it will work in the Z3 is because in the US, the Z3 had a different changer, an AI model which was iBus.

The iBus CD changer wiring consists of two small 3 and 6 pin connectors in the boot. the non iBus CD changer wiring in most Z3s in the UK is a round DIN type connector and a larger white power connector.

I spent lots of time on this including fitting a CD changer to my ///M and then moving to an iPod setup with a Dice interface. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Si.
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

siwilson wrote:Guys,

The issue here is to do with iBus. ALL the aftermarket iPod and Aux connections for BMW of our era are designed for the BMW iBus (communication protocol used by E46, E39, etc..). The Z3 with a CD changer A and radio/tape head unit is NOT iBus. The single CD head unit IS iBus. the reason these websites say it will work in the Z3 is because in the US, the Z3 had a different changer, an AI model which was iBus.

The iBus CD changer wiring consists of two small 3 and 6 pin connectors in the boot. the non iBus CD changer wiring in most Z3s in the UK is a round DIN type connector and a larger white power connector.

I spent lots of time on this including fitting a CD changer to my ///M and then moving to an iPod setup with a Dice interface. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Si.
Since my initial post I stopped trying to find a solution due to my frustration and also lack of time. However last week I decided to give it a nother go (without any luck). I just read this now.

From what I understand there is no way to make the Dension Gateway 300 work with my BMW business tape head unit. Is that correct?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Correct. you need the single CD head-unit and a cable.
danteblitz

blank.gif

Re: Dension Gateway 300 install problem

Post by danteblitz »

Hey guys,

After a good few years I decided to re-visit this issue. Here's a brief summary of the story so far:

---

My Z3 had a business tape head unit

- In 2010 I bought a Dension Gatway 300. The aim was to play mp3 files from my usb key via the stock head unit. Dension's compatibility list stated that it worked for BMW Business head units.

- I correctly installed the unit with the head unit but no matter what I tried I could not get the CD changer mode to appear on the tape unit.

- I created this thread to try to resolve the issue and siwilson informed me that the Dension Gateway 300 would only work with the BMW Business CD headunit as it uses the IBus protocol for the cd changer (the BMW Business tape unit uses another protocol).

- I contacted Dension to get a refund but they would not accept as the Gateway unit had been opened. It has been sitting around gathering dust since then.

---

A few months ago, whilst on this forum I learnt that I can use a Rover CD43 head unit in the Zed. From my understanding its pretty much the same unit as the BMW version but with a different badge. I picked one up from ebay for relatively cheap and was hoping to get it working with the Dension Gatweay.

It arrived today and as soon as I got in from work I installed the unit. Works perfectly without the Dension. I then installed the Dension and tried again to enable the CD changer mode, with no luck what soever.

After doing some research on Dension's site I noticed that the Gateway 300 is not compatible with Rover CD43: http://www.dension.com/sites/default/fi ... 6_2012.pdf.

Does anyone know if the Rover CD43 is an absolute identical model to the BMW Business CD head unit (with only cosmetic differences)? I'm guessing there are actually some differences between the 2 models.

Has anyone successfully installed a Gateway 300 in a Z3, be it with the BMW head unit or Rover unit???