Removing the OEM speaker amp on a Z3M

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Removing the OEM speaker amp on a Z3M

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I've done a search, but found nothing concrete.
I've got a new HU coming this week & the speakers will be upgraded as soon as a I get a chance.

I've noticed there is an OEM amp fitted to the left hand side mid. It looks as if it's connect via a multiplug. Is there any guides to removing this to wire the speakers straight up to the HU or alternative the amp to a set of aftermarket speakers?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Search for "amp and bypass" for lots of useful threads.

The most useful would be this one, but the pics have disappeared - dunno if anyone can repost them: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7380

Having said that, I found I did NOT need to bypass the amp on mine, but I did have to connect the "remote control" wire, which was an extra bullet connector on my adapter.

Cheers R.
Last edited by Robert T on Wed 05 Jan, 2011 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Thanks for the link Robert, can you believe I actually searched "speaker amp" & I didni't find that thread.

It looks ideal for what I want to do, but as you say the original pics are no longer being hosted :cry:

The scotchlock idea to the aftermarket ISO sounds like the easiest solution, but just want to make sure using this sort of connect will not affect the sound quality?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Thanks for the link Frank, but I do not want to cut any OEM wiring.
I'll be amp'ing the components now so the bypass & removal won't be needed now. Thanks again :wink:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well done Frank, that was the other thread I was looking for. I knew there was a pic of the the whole speaker somewhere! The photo that is missing from Si's post (Guest!) is the one of the adapter that I posted up the other day.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Thanks for the link Frank, but I do not want to cut any OEM wiring.
I'll be amp'ing the components now so the bypass & removal won't be needed now. Thanks again :wink:
There is no need to cut any wiring when removing the amp.If you use the correct gauge of insulatd solid wire you can link the speaker wires in the plug.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

When you are doing a search it is important to use AND between words to narrow the search :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster