Z3 Head Unit

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 Head Unit

Post by Buz007 »

Happy New Year All!

The Z3 will be coming out of the garage in a few months and am looking to upgrade the stereo.

Anyone got any opinions on which ones are best? got about £2-300 quid to blow, heard that those Becker units are pretty good, was also looking at an alpine.

Any recommendations welcome

Cheers

Buz
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Depends how much you want to keep OEM looks and what facilities you need.

The Beckers IMHO are the best solution as you can keep OEM looks and have all facilities (ie depending which model: Sat Nav, Bluetooth phone connection, the best Ipod interface there is) and good quality sound but they are not cheap and rare 2nd hand. ps you can also wire them into your cars GAL control (speed sensitive) to automatically adjust volume with car speed.

Others have fitted Alpine units which look pretty good for 50% of the cost (usually with bluetooth and ipod control but not sat nav)

My Becker Cascade:

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

cheers Pal

That looks perfect to be fair, gonna have a quick look on ebay, im after as OEM as possible really, those Beckers are quality without looking like blackpool illuminations! 8-)
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Just be careful which "colour" you get for the display.

The cascade are programmable so no problem but from memory the obvious Red version is not as close a match as the YELLOW display to the rest of the dash (you may have to check that on previous thread if you do a search on here on BECKER)

Sometimes you see a bargain one but it will be a green (or similar) display which would not work.

nb search German eBay as well as they sell cheaper on there :wink:

You can also search for ferrari units as they are the same but usually command a premium for the little horsey badge :roll:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Would look good but is an older unit I think (pre bluetooth so no hands free) and a little over priced becuase of it but does look in good condition if pic is current.

You need to check has the GPS receiver (can't see it on the pic), codes, MAP disc, (and microphone unit if bluetooth).

The ipod interface cables are c£90 but allow you to leave an old ipod in you glove box and control fully from the head unit).

To be honest I would be looking to get that for £250 or less. I would keep on my watch list and if no one bids send the seller a PM offering £250 ?

ps you'll just need a harness convertor, you can pay £10+ at Halfords or get a ROVER one from eBay for a couple of £ :wink:

Its worth getting to know the current range from the becker site

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/Automotive.html

and looking at prices new to set a 2nd hand benchmark.

You could get Cascade new from Germany for c£550 a year or so ago but I'm out of touch now.

Remember these will always be worth decent money 2nd hand so if you keep your old headunit you will always get back c30% of the cost in a few years (where £200 on an Alpine will be worth next to nothing as an "old" model in a few years :wink: )
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

With Jonttt's helpful advice I have just ordered a Becker Traffic Pro DTM GPS. Cant wait for it to arrive although i'm on holiday for a week next week so its a job for the week after :)

Just wondered if anyone has fit one of these before? I fancy having a go myself. Have had a quick search but it was rubbish

Cheers

Buz
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well you can't get more OEM looking than an actual OEM optional headunit that was very rare :wink:

and it was well over £1,000 when new :shock: (nb prices shown are excl VAT)

('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Ipod kit

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I think the kit is discontinued :( , I spoke to a couple places that sell Becker and they said it stopped 6months ago. There is a place that sells them on ebay £65+11delivery (200562830949).
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

oh no :head: :head: :head:

But its brand new in box with all cd's and wires etc? shouldnt the kit come with? :( :cry:
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Kit

Post by ('_')Z3 »

The kit is additional as far as i know. But it was easy to fit my Becker cascade, If i can anyone can! :lol:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

There is a kit if you look at the brochure above.

I don't know whats included in this but if the headunit comes with the GPS receiver etc... then I can't think what could be in the kit apart from a harness adaptor which you can get for £4 off eBay and just wire in the GAL signal yourself (in fact order 2 harness adaptors as you can use one of the wires and bullet connectors to make up the GAL unless your good with electrics and can be bothered getting the parts cheaper). I wouldn't put it past BMW asking a lot for a bespoke harness adaptor :roll:

Wait and see what you get with the headunit and post up pics, we'll be able to tell if you have everything you need :rtm: