Dab Aerial cable routing?

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Dab Aerial cable routing?

Post by Julie Z3 »

Looking to fit a Dab head unit in the wifes Z3 but would like to know the best route for the two cables to run from the boot to the back of the head unit.
Don't want to disrupt anything uneccesarily as i have a tendency to damage the plastic moulding around the car!
Sorry if this has been done to death but couldn't fine a link in the search engine .
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

I dont know if you have already done this as the post is quite old now, but I just put in a new head unit, with amp and needed to run two RCA leads from front to boot, and new speaker cables.

I took the seats out, most of the plastic trim and rear storage box and roll hoops. Its not fiddly at all, very easy and you might find some interesting things when you do!

Seriously though, the standard cable on my roadster routes via the left hand side of the car, its bound in with all the other cables heading that way, including the cd changer cable. I would leave the existing cable in there.

If you did not want to disturb too much, at the minimum you'd need to remove the plastic trim that protects the lower door rubber and front passenger speaker cover. This will allow you to peel the carpet back enough to get to the cable. I removed the glove box, but you could proably get away with leaving it in, it just may make poking the new wires through a bit fiddly.

You'd also need to loosen the rear passenger plastic trim (two self tappers) that runs from where the plastic trim as above ends, and wraps around the roll hoops - its one bit of trim. From memory its quite flappy and would allow some space to route the cable. Removing the speaker cover and speaker may help too, although its quite higher up than where you want the cable to go.

Lastly, the rear parcelshelf carpet trim will need to be moved to one side, you will see the existing cable cluster and rubber grommet to poke the cable into the boot where you will also need to remove the carpet panels.

I had more or less most of this removed for other reasons, but while I had it all stripped out, I took the chance to install a new sound system correctly.

The tiny caps that cover the screws are a PITA to remove, and rarely go back on correctly, and also the trim plugs, total bitch to remove. I've ordered a whole load of both from BMW to replace mine that have been destroyed while removing!

Happy to talk over the phone if it will make it easier.

Richard.
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Sorry for going off topic, but how did you find putting the new stuff in Richard?
Something I'm still yet to tackle when I eventually get all the bits together.
Are you pleased with the results or you still running the speakers in?
Estoril Blue S50 Z3M Roadster
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

Hey, it went alright thanks. As I just got te car, it was a good chance to check things over anyway, so removing the seats I checked all the motors underneath etc and gave them some lube. I did not take all the carpet out, since I did not need to, but stipped enough trim away that I could fold the carpet up away from the edges and run the cables in, and check for damp/water/rust which thankfully I did not find!

I did find £2.50 which was a bonus! All the trim was untouched too, no one had been there before to install / de-install stereo etc, so where I was expecting borken plastic lugs / clips, they were intact and not as brittle as I expected. Infact none of the trim broke upon removal, and re-fitting.

I took the whole storage box and roll hoops out, as well as the carpet so I could properly route the cables, and hide the excess RCA leads. It did not take much effort, I mean all you need is a philips and some time.

I took all the boot interior out too, as I was installing an amp, I used the bracket for the CD changer which I removed to house the amp, its perfect and means I can put the carpet back as it came out.

I got a Pioneer head unit which fits the ISO hole as you would expect, but the cage butts up real close to the edges so it does not rattle or move. The trim around the head unit finishes it off nice. I cut away as many of the cables form the BMW to ISO convertor, and then the ISO to Pioneer cables, as in the standard 8 wires they present if you were not using an external amp/rca's. Its surprising how much more room and flexability it gives the loom on the back of the head unit. I also removed the prong thing from the BMW head unit, and mated it to the Pioneer unit with a small narrow bolt and cut the head off, its more for holding the rear of the unit in place than the alarm really.

I ran the RCA cables, (two of) down the passnger side, and through the super duper rubber grommet on the parcel shelf to get access into the boot. All the speakers cables use this grommet too and then break out to where they need to within the passenger bit of the car. I soldered the speaker ends ( + and -) on the bench in garage and left more than enough cable to reach the amp. I used Pioneer TS something or others, 13cm front, and 10cm rear. The guy down at the place in Wandsworth where I got it all form said to stick with the same manufacturer of speakers if poss. The ones I have are two way, I amleaving the tweeters in the doors, disconnected.

I looked at getting an "under seat" sub and the head unit I have has Front / Rear and Sub RCA pre-outs. But when I took the seats out, there is not much room under them for anything really! Even with them at the highest, I dont know what would fit. I will see how it sounds and go from there. The Alipine amp I have is 4 way, and has high pass and low pass filters - so I'll play around with sending the higher frequs to the smaller rear spakers and lower to the fronts. Its not going to be a Max Power Bass machine, but I was look for quality, rather than quantity. I should have run in the RCA's for the Sub while I had it all stripped out, but it would not take much to run another set in.

I'm working at home next week for a few days, and its half term if you wanna pop over for a tea and chat. PM me and I'll give you the details, but for reference and I guess it does not make much difference to list it here, I live 5 mins from Stoneleigh Railway station on the Stoneleigh Park Road side.

Next job: braided hoses and re-fit brakes when they come back from BigRed.
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Nice one, cheers for the write up Richard :wink:

I might pop by next week in that case mate, if even to have a brew & a nose at your install if that's ok?
Estoril Blue S50 Z3M Roadster
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

Yep, no problem at all. Days I am home during the day - Tuesday and Thursday and Friday. Will be in most eves as well!
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Just posted again Maccers in the Z3 forum not realising you'd replied a while ago in here!

Thanks for the insight, have just been behind the glovebox to reprograme the alarm fobs that have never worked since we had the car ( only took me 3 months ) lol.

Would have liked to have installed the radio at the same time but it looked like rain and i think it's a job that would be made easier having the roof down?

Anyway thanks again and will let you know how i get on .

Cheers Pete
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

Hi Pete, to be honest you'll need the roof up to remove the carpet, or part of in the "parcelshelf" bit where the hood sits when its folded down. When the carpet is moved to the side (passenger) you'll see where the main loom runs into the boot area.

If you have the time its best to remove the glove box, and the plastic trim that clips onto it, the footwell speaker cover, and the door step trim. Go easy with them, as plastic tends to snap when its x amount of years old.

Removing passenger seat will allow you easier access to route cable correctly - dont be scared to remove it, its simple - let me know if you want me to scan pages from Haynes Manual on this and trim removal. Best to remove seat last, so less risk of catching anything and makring it. Get help with lifting too, they are not heavy as such, but awkward.

I would also remove the trim that starts where the door step trim ends, and runs to the roll hoop assembly bit. I removed the whole lot, hoops, all the storage box etc as I needed acces to the "parcelshelf" bit for shock top mounts as well as routing multi cables, but if you are just running in one cable, you might be able to get away with just removing the two self tapping screws and moving the long thin bit of trim away, its quite flexible and infact when I installed my sub behind the passnger seat, I only done this vs removing the whole lot again.

You should be able to poke the cable up and through and get it where you would have removed, or peeled back the carpet in the "parcelshelf" bit. There you will see a big rubber grommet with spare holes that lead into the boot (remove boot trim) and there you will connect to ariel or what ever you need to (for me it was amp where CD changer was mounted).

Sounds a lot, but really its not, removig the trim will take max one hour with care and it sounds anal, but put screws in a small bag or glass and wite on a bit of paper where they came from, some are different sizes and have different heads that allow the tiny PITA plastic caps to fit on correctly.

Dont mind to run through it over a phone call - let me know via PM and also if you need Haynes stuff.

Richard.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Maccers
Actually got around to fitting Julies DAB radio yesterday! Only took me a couple of months but got there in the end.

Took your advice and took out the passenger seat (much easier access), although i didn't find any lost treasures (a penny , an old biro and some dog hair), but made removing the panels and routing the cables that much easier.

Choose to run the two aerial cables through the boot crommet and under the nearside carpeting, under the speaker cover then up behind the glovebox.

Like you say all pretty straight forward once you know where to start looking!

Whilst the glovebox was out i programmed a spare remote fob purchased from ebay as we've only ever had the one ,just need to get to BMW for a spare key now.

With the radio installed have noticed that the two small rear speakers are shot , are these worth replacing/upgrading?

Cheers again for all the help.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Maccers
Actually got around to fitting Julies DAB radio yesterday! Only took me a couple of months but got there in the end.

Took your advice and took out the passenger seat (much easier access), although i didn't find any lost treasures (a penny , an old biro and some dog hair), but made removing the panels and routing the cables that much easier.

Chose to run the two aerial cables through the boot crommet and under the nearside carpeting, under the speaker cover then up behind the glovebox.

Like you say all pretty straight forward once you know where to start looking!

Whilst the glovebox was out i programmed a spare remote fob purchased from ebay as we've only ever had the one ,just need to get to BMW for a spare key now.

With the radio installed have noticed that the two small rear speakers are shot , are these worth replacing/upgrading?

Cheers again for all the help.
maccers

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maccers »

Nice one, it does a bit of effort, but well worth to do it properly.

I'd replace the rears, and also the fronts too, try and use the same type to keep the the high and mid ranges the same. I got Pioneer TS-E1002i (10cm) and the corresponding 13cm's up front. To take full advantage of the new head unit.

I was out today with roof down for the first time! My 5 yr old boy loved it!