Ipaq / TomTom3 / SD Card Question.

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Ipaq / TomTom3 / SD Card Question.

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was was possible to install TomTom Navigator 3 on a memory card instead of in the Ipaq memory itself.

(I know the maps go on the memory card but want to install the application on there too if possible)

The reason for this is that I regularly let the battery run right down on my Ipaq and need to reinstall TomTom3 every time this happens and its quite a lenghty process.

If it were on a memry card I could pop it in any time I needed it and not worry about keeping the battery charged ?

heres hoping :)
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

yes you can - and it runs like absolute sh!t - so slow as to be unusable

Don't even try it - it is not worth it
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

Oh well , not to worry. I will just have to remember to keep the damn thing charged I suppose :dunce:

thanks David.
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
VooDooD

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VooDooD »

Hmmmm. I have it installed on my CF card and it all works fine. No noticeable slowdown. The only problem I have is that I have to reset the iPAQ if I switch the unit off whilst Navigator is loaded. Surely the SD slot isn't any slower than the CF? I don't have any SD's so can't test it.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Some PDAs have very slow SD memory card interfaces. For example, the older iPAQ 3800-series SD card interface is very slow while the 2210/2215 is much faster and the Toshiba e750/755 is faster still

http://www.core-sound.com/CF-and-SD-mas ... rison.html
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: Ipaq / TomTom3 / SD Card Question.

Post by bmwstuff »

Agree with DavidM, I have mine installed on the SD card and you do get slower access and soemtimes it can't read the card.

You take your choices, install on card and save some room on your ipaq memory or install on SDcard.

I've had to keep mine on the sdcard as the ipaq mem seems to be overflowing.

Neal(2.8Roadster) wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew if it was was possible to install TomTom Navigator 3 on a memory card instead of in the Ipaq memory itself.

(I know the maps go on the memory card but want to install the application on there too if possible)

The reason for this is that I regularly let the battery run right down on my Ipaq and need to reinstall TomTom3 every time this happens and its quite a lenghty process.

If it were on a memry card I could pop it in any time I needed it and not worry about keeping the battery charged ?

heres hoping :)
________
Cheap glass bongs