my z3 business head unit died replace or renew???

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
matney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

my z3 business head unit died replace or renew???

Post by matney »

My head unit i think has given up as the front screen is blank and all the buttons have stop working. All it will do is play the one radio station its currently tuned to. It will switch on and off and thats it.

It is the business rds head unit with the tape player and you press the mode button above the power knob to access the cd changed in the boot.

I presume only these head units are compatible with the cd changer?

Does any one have one of these head units for sale?

If i go for a new head unit how hard are they to fit? Does it all need rewiring and is it a pain to do. Am i better buying something which offers free fitting?

Dont want to spend a fortune but i am not that technically minded when it comes to installing a new stereo, will current speakers be ok etc.

Any recommendations of new stereo to go for? Dont want to go really over the £150 mark

Many thanks

Matt
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

For around £80-100 mark you can get a decent headunit from places like halfords etc...
They can fit it for you but to be honest its quite easy and im sure we could help you install it...
As for your budget id recomend a sony cd player. i have a Sony CDX-GT540UI headunit that also plays your ipod/iphone.... i payed £85 new from halfords... fantastic sound quality with its 24bit dac converter.
Its in my car thread if you want alook at it.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I went for a Sony MEX-BT3800U for £95 from Halfords. Bought the wiring ISO harness to go with it, and had it fitted in about 30 minutes. Pretty much plug and play.

I connect mine to my iPhone via the USB socket so it charges the phone will it plays your music library. You can also stick MP3's directly on a cheap USB pen drive as well.

It also has Bluetooth so can be used for handsfree driving, and will also stream your audio over it too.

The sound quality is so much better as well. Granted it doesn't match the interior in the same way the BMW unit does, but you do gain some extra boot space by obsoleting the CD changer.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I've sourced audio equipment for several cars, mine and friends, for the past 6 years from Car Audio Security and I have nothing but praise for their quality of customer service and speed of delivery. As you're on a budget, take a look at this: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... 12919.html
You will need to get a BMW headunit ISO adapter: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /1574.html

Headunit removal is easy, all you will need is an allen key set. Here's a guide: http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=98

Installation is simple:
- fit the mounting bracket that will house the radio into the dashboard, there should be small tabs you can bend outward to lock it into place, do this with a screwdriver or similar tool
- next, locate the wiring loom and attach the BMW ISO headunit adapter, then fit the ISO adapter supplied with the radio to the first adapter and attach this to the rear of the stereo
- push the radio into the mounting bracket, making sure there are no obstructions or caught cables behind it, you should hear a click once the anti-theft locking devices are engaged
- if the radio comes with a code make sure to keep this safe, if the connection to the battery dies you will need to reinput this code, recovering a lost code can cost £20 from the manufacturer

That's it. Hope it's of use to you. :)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
matney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

stereo

Post by matney »

thanks for all your help i may try to have a go and fit myself! thanks for the car audio security site will take a look, thanks all!!!
matney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

thanks

Post by matney »

Thanks Justin i have ordered myself a nice new stereo from that site and look forward to having some sounds again once it arrives!
Custard's alter ego

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Changing Head unit

Post by Custard's alter ego »

Probably too late to influence your decision on what to go for but I have recently bought a Parrott RKi8400 which is fantastic! It is basically a head unit which is removable and your ipod is connected and put in side the main body. The front panel has a nice screen which displays all the usual Mp3 information AND the album art, so looks great. As well as FM radio there's a bluetooth phone connection so it can play music off your mobile and comes with a discrete double microphone which works really well nested on the steering column just under the instrument binnacle, even with the roof down. You can connect a USB datastick in place of the ipod and there is a hidden SD card slot in the face for even more music. The function and controls are easy and intuitive with a large central jog wheel, the sound is great (auto volume) :nerd: and it is an attractive unit. All this for £179 from Halfords compared to at least £240 from the net and ebay. I bought a faulty (screen) 16Gb Nano cheap off ebay to leave inside-brilliant. Thank god the novelty has worn off now and I can spend more time looking where I am going! Did I mention the external audio jack connection, graphic equaliser, phone book facility, voice recognition ........? :nerd:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

a headunit with usb is great,

no leads, discs or ipod in car just a small usb stick!

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10425

perfect for usb head units, only about £20 for 8GB too...

Mac
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles