BMW 6 CD Changer - Advice

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Gary Brown

Not specified

BMW 6 CD Changer - Advice

Post by Gary Brown »

Zedsters

Does anyone know if the BMW 6 CD Changer is a standard size/fit for all BMW models?

Thinking of bidding for one on eBay but don't know if the one from an 2001 E46 will fit my 2000 W-reg Z3.

Any advice appreciated, as usual.

Post by Guest »

Gary,

Lucky for you I have been there already.

Your probably thinking that the Z being pre-wired for a changer makes it an easy job, well...

Most of the changers on Ebay are the newer type that don't fit the Z. What you need is the older version that comes form an E36. It may be marked up CD Changer 'A'. There is one on Ebay now...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 67363&rd=1

If you look at the connectors in the boot you will most likely see a round one that is the 'data' cable and a clear one with yellow wiring for the power. These don't match the one in the E46, E39 and other newer BMW models.

THe only slight difference to this may be the M Roadster. I just changed my 2000 2.0 model for one and the CD wiring is different.

Simon
Gary Brown

Not specified

Post by Gary Brown »

Thanks Si, your advice will ensure I don't make a rash purchase. :D
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Simon... question

Post by AdamC »

You dont happen to know which fuse they wire the old style changer to do you? I wanted to try pulling it to reset my changer but could not find which one and did not want to guess and end up resetting my head unit (did not have the code on me)

Cheers.
AdamC
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Be careful if you have a BMW CD head unit, they don't all control CD changers.
Simon Taylor
phooto

Post by Guest »

Good point miodem, If you have the single CD head unit then it probably won't control a changer. The wiring is there and BMW say it should work, but in reality it doesn't :? . I bought the changer, the head unit wouldn't recognize it, so I had to buy a tape head unit as well. :(

AdamC,

Not sure in the specific fuse, but the power connector for the changer is pretty easy to get to. Just reach behind the changer and you'll find it.

Simon
Gary Brown

Not specified

Post by Gary Brown »

More advice needed guys, saw this on eBay and think it's a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 72932&rd=1

Any of you chaps reckon it will work ok? Heard of any problems with Sony compatibility with BMW stock radio/cassette units?

Post by Guest »

Gary,

All of the CD kits I have seen have the adapter to fit the newer systems like on the E46(3) and E39(5). This unit does say it will work with the non pre-wired systems, but that means running wiring through the car to put the Changer in the boot.

The easy install is the genuine BMW changer onto the existing wiring. If you have to run wiring then for about the same money you may as well replace the head unit as well. Unless of course you are desparate to keep the 'stock' look.
Gary Brown

Not specified

Post by Gary Brown »

Thanks for all the advice guys, I've went with the easy option and now bought a BMW CD Changer on eBay. Managed to check the part number with BMW, the seller and checked the connectors in my boot to the pic on eBay. All I need to do now (after it arrives) is connect it up, which does seem quite easy but I think it will be a wee adventure learning how the sod works. :dunce: