ICE Upgrade

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...

ICE Upgrade

Post by Guest »

Finally took the plunge, been reviewing posts for ages, decided to buy a component speaker set up and slim subwoofer, so have brought the following:

5.25" InPhase component set up with tweeters and passive crossover for the foot well and doors
Lanzar 800Watt slim active sub
Alpine in line amp 45RMS x 4 KPT-445

I am going to relocate my 5.25" Pioneer 3ways to the rear in stead of the 4" inch affairs currently installed

Saturday will be D-day for fitting and hopefully at last a nice sound stage hood up or down!

Its the bass thats missing, hopefully with the sub it wont have to be cranked to hear anything decent.

Post by Guest »

Rightio, started the build today, first off scrapped the tweeters that came as part of the comp set up with the In-phase products, quickly replaced with some MB Quart RTC 19, now this upgrade is easy and worth while.

Well the build went well the tweeter grilles, resprayed, look peach.

The sound is fantastic thanks to the new tweeters and the slim sub......................

Problem........................after 2 minutes playing and listening whilst driving, all speakers have gone silent, yes no sound at all, all i get when i turn the HU on is a squeak then........................silence.

I am going to tear back down tomorrow, but before i do, does any one have any ideas why the speakers would just go silent?
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Yes, you are probably a crap ice installer :roflmao:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

:lol:
yes as long as the speakers were wired correctly.. Did you get rid of the little amp behind the passanger footwell speaker? if not this has probably blown and you will need to wire your front speakers to the headunit directly...
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

What head unit are you using? Those InPhase speakers (assuming they're the XTC5's) are rated at 50w RMS with a peak output of 200w. If the HU is one with a built in amp (most Alpine's have 4x50wRMS built in) and you've used that in line amp then you've probably blown the speakers up by amping an already amped signal. If not, then not sure sorry!
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Oddly, I had this with my Parrot (the stereo, not the bird :)). Just check the face is on the stereo correctly. Probably isn't that, but worth checking.

Re: z

Post by Guest »

hornel Z3M wrote:Yes, you are probably a crap ice installer :roflmao:
Thanks for that, Good concise advice from the forum as usual :wink:.

Actually i have not done a bad job for a bloke with one arm!

Moving on, the install is a clean one, it does not touch the OEM Harness or amps in any way shape or form.

It was tested after installing each speaker, everything fine, tested again once trim re-fitted everything fine. Started the engine, everything fine. driving for two minutes went silent, HU is working, Slim sub still working (This is connected to RCA out put), un plugging this makes no difference.

For information the In line amp has been not fitted, as it is not compatable with the current HU.

So I have deduced two things, either the road trip has shook somthing loose, or the amp in the HU is TU

Post by Guest »

XVar wrote:What head unit are you using? Those InPhase speakers (assuming they're the XTC5's) are rated at 50w RMS with a peak output of 200w. If the HU is one with a built in amp (most Alpine's have 4x50wRMS built in) and you've used that in line amp then you've probably blown the speakers up by amping an already amped signal. If not, then not sure sorry!
The XTP-445 is designed to sit in line of the Alpine HU and gives a total of 80RMS per channel on the new HU i have ordered, it is not amping an amped signal, the design of the XPT is to complement.

In reality it is distortion that blows spekers, poor signal in other words, therefore it is assumed to be better to have more power than the RMS of the speakers in order to reduce distortion by poor signal. I think the Inphase will hold up pretty good for the time bing, and they are a glass fibre construction so a lot stronger than most.

Now for the good news.............................

It was the road trip, by powers of deduction it had to be linked to that, fault tree worked.

The rubber boot on the woofer positive had shaken down and the positive connection grounded on the chassis. I have bent the terminal away and fixed the rubber boot in place with hot glue and job done, back to really nice music.

Thanks for the assistance guys...............

I would point out that the MB Quart Tweeters make a hell of a difference, now have a decent sound stage that is head level and not in my boots.....

Post by Guest »

ICE Install is now complete, new HU arrived today Alpine iDA-X311RR:
This is a fantastic HU, I have hooked my 80GB hard drive upto it, so no need to carry CD's any more, only got 100Albums Though:(

Below is the Tweeter Install:
Grille repainted with Plasticote Satin Black and reassembled:

Note the wire join in black tape was for testing only, it now has bullet connectors, but allows me to use the original BMW connecting plug so no need to run wires for the tweeters, and any maintenance work is simple to unplug.

Will post some in car picks later.

The Alpine in Line Amp is superb, it gives great depth and clarity and the Lanzar 8" slim sub (600W) is more than ample for the task.

Just needs me to upgrade the exhaust to full sport so I can here it again!!