Audio blues - what to do?

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Audio blues - what to do?

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hi all

My car has the Parrot rki4800 bluetooth/i-phone system installed and following a bit of handy-work last week is now functioing correctly. Thing is I don't like it :roll:

Reasons being:-

1) I've not got an i-phone,
2) The only i-pod i've got is an old 2gb one that I've been given and AFAIK its empty of music.
3) I can't really be bothered with filling the i-pod with music and working out how all this modern stuff works.
4) I don't have a snazzy phone, I hardly ever use it TBH and hence the bluetooth functionality of the system is wasted on me.
5) I just prefer the old CD player and CD's type set-up.
6) The front (removable panel) sticks out too much for my liking and has some cosmetic marks on the top-edge where some numpty got glue on it presumably as part of the fecked-up install I resolved last week.

The only thing I like about the system is the M// logo that comes on the screen when it's turned on 8-)

I also have the original CD43 that came with the car and the pass code but whilst it's got the OEM look thats not quite floating my boat either :roll:

I'm thinking of selling the two systems I've got and fitting something new. Hence a few questions:-

1) What would you do?
2) If buying a new CD player what would you recommend?
3) How much can I expect to sell the CD43 for? - I've noticed e-bay only has the ROVER versions on for aroung £80.
4) How much can I expect to get for the Parrot set-up, no box and marking to top of front panel - sure the marks could be improved with a rub down and re-spray etc.

Please feel free to fire away with your suggestions.

thanks

Chris
JoeyD

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Audio blues - what to do?

Post by JoeyD »

Hey mate,

Im in the same boat as you. there are so many options out there. i think the main thing is to know what you want from it. I am after a Parrot set up like what you have (hint hint!!) but thats because i have a iphone and want it integrated into the car system. Will you just play cd's?radio? if so then a simple Sony or JVC head unit will suffice. I would try to colour code the interior lights with it so that at night its not glaring and looking out of place.

I do have a JVC Cd player if you are interested that will go straight into your "Z". It is in mine now so comes with all wires etc.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

I hardly ever drive at night in the Z but I do get your point regarding lighting - that's probably the best reason to stick the OEM one back in :chin-scratch:

My other consideration is I bought the car [with a few niggles ] mainly as a project and box-ticking exercise with the plan of selling-on when complete, any drive-time just a bonus. Having spend a small fortune already I'm keen to consider the potential new owner and my outlay / re-sale. What do people want ICE wise in an M :?:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I used to love my six CD changer that I had in the centre storage box - it left the boot free and I could change the CDs without having to go round to the boot. However a few years ago I bit the bullet and bought a single-CD with USB. This not only allows you to connect and control an iPod/iPhone, but will also play music directly from a USB memory stick - somewhat smaller and cheaper to leave in the car. I ran the cable to the ash tray and the USB stick sits in there. Whilst I can still play CDs if I want to, I don't have a single CD in the car, yet I have about a weeks worth of music with me! What is more I have less rattles as I don't have CD cases all over the place. If you can figure out how to rip CDs (I use iTunes for this as it is point and click and gets the track names of the internet for you) and copy the resulting files to a USB stick, then you're away.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Robert T wrote: If you can figure out how to rip CDs,...and copy the resulting files to a USB stick, then you're away.

Cheers R.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Yes I can just about manage that - the parrot will do that too but I'd not thought to do so :dunce:

Saying that, I've still not worked out why my computer wont scroll the 'recent posts' text on the home page, it just starts to come into view then re-starts over and over :shrug :head:
JoeyD

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JoeyD »

chrisp_1 wrote:I hardly ever drive at night in the Z but I do get your point regarding lighting - that's probably the best reason to stick the OEM one back in :chin-scratch:

My other consideration is I bought the car [with a few niggles ] mainly as a project and box-ticking exercise with the plan of selling-on when complete, any drive-time just a bonus. Having spend a small fortune already I'm keen to consider the potential new owner and my outlay / re-sale. What do people want ICE wise in an M :?:

Ice wise in an "M" or any car i would of thought a manufacturers unit would be the best option. something flashy like the Parrot might not appeal to the right buyer and might give off a bad impression like you have tinkered a bit too much. Your tinkering might also not be to someone else's taste no matter how good, for example, colour coding it to the dash, night lighting, age of the unit. Defo stick the OEM unit back in for the sale. Until then i think you have the best of both worlds, a top of the range Parrot and the OEM one. you just have to decide!!
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hi Joey

I did notice the HINT :) and if I decide to sell it I'll give you 1st option on it - theyre going for circa £80 used but I'd take less due to the marking on the top.

I charged the old freebie i-pod 2gb last night and bonus it's full of music left by my brother-in law so gonna see if that helps swing the argument one way or another - still not convinced though as I'm a BB2/Smooth/5-live kinda guy TBH :lol:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The OEM bmw Cd units get advertised for c£200 on eBay ie a lot more than the rover ones which are the same units. They are popular with the e36 guys.

In you position I would stick this back in as it's perfect for your needs and would add more value to most buyers. You can then sell the iPhone unit you don't need for say £50 (assuming the cosmetic damage) or leave it for sale as an option with the car and sell later if not needed.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

A Parrot one just sold for £99 + postage on ebay, they seem to be creeping back up value wise now the Halfords offer has expired. Gonna watch another finishing today to gauge further.

As you say the main problem with mine in the marking on the top-edge - ideally I need to split the front cover and remove the facia / re-spray it with something a little more durable, it's a NAF matt, rubbery type of paint/coating they have used.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

thinking about it if I could get c£200+ for the two units I have I could pretty much take my pick on a new one :? decisions decisions :!:
JoeyD

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JoeyD »

If you are a radio type of guy then why not go for a digital radio type stereo? actually thinking about this,are these available for in-car stereos yet?! cheers for 1st refusal!! :D
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Haha..., your right that would be ace :D

Are they available at sensible money :puzzle: best get :pc
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Sony cdx-650ui
Great unit and only £99. Can match your dash lights too :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Z3cade wrote:Sony cdx-650ui
Great unit and only £99. Can match your dash lights too :wink:
this one:-

Nice, looks similar to a JVC I spotted when searching for DAB ones.

chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Had the inclination to plug in the i-pod and see what it did - my brother in law did indeed leave a few tunes on there and when 'Sultans of Swing' kicked-in I realised the Parrot system aint that bad after-all :lol: Radio is crap though, just FM.

I'm going to have to grin and bear it for now anyway, cash is tight again seeing as we're moving into the new house next week FINALLY :o [I though it was never going to happen hence why I bought the M to keep me busy :head: )
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I have the Kenwood (not the DAB version) and spent a few minutes in the Audio Control menu, adjust to suit my ears and the car, pleased with it even more now :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage