Rear speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rear speakers

Post by Captain »

Hi

Need some help, how do you remove the speakers behind the seats in the rear console.
ImageImage
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Rear speakers

Post by Heath »

The speaker grill & surround just clips off I used a small screwdriver to help lever them off, you will then see the screws which hold the speaker in place

Heath on Tapatalk
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

What type of rears do you have? Are they small circular speakers ? If so the best way is to remove them is to flick off the plastic panel next to you roll hoop base and get a long screw driver to undo the circular plastic clamp that just untwists to release the speaker.. :wink:

You may need to cut out a bigger hole in the plastic if you wish to fit bigger speakers
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Thanks for the advice, I'll remove them over the weekend. I'm actually looking at fitting bigger speakers, need to see how much space there is.
ImageImage
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Heath »

The best way to fit bigger speakers is to use a spacer & fit the spacer & speaker on the outside of the trim (this means cutting out a hole in the original speaker grill) but some dont like the look & prefer to keep it looking standard

Heath on Tapatalk
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I still use my original rears alongside uprated fronts, seperate tweeters and a rear sub and new headunit with an Amp in the boot :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Gazza wrote:I still use my original rears alongside uprated fronts, seperate tweeters and a rear sub and new headunit with an Amp in the boot :D
The rear speakers in the M are the size of a golf ball :shock:
Might as well be tweeters.. I've replaced mine with 4" Rockford Fosgate speakers.
Improved the sound by miles :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Heath wrote:The best way to fit bigger speakers is to use a spacer & fit the spacer & speaker on the outside of the trim (this means cutting out a hole in the original speaker grill) but some dont like the look & prefer to keep it looking standard
Similar to what I did, taken from my journal:

Up next were the rear speakers, which were a little harder to fit. As there is no room behind the original speakers it is impossible to get a decent set of 4" speakers in. Because the mounting depth needed to be larger with my new speakers I had to mount them on the outside of the trim. I used a dremel to cut away at the original trim so the speakers would fit flush and screwed them straight through this into the screw holders already in place.

:D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Had a look over the weekend, space is very restricted. Think I'll go the spacer route, thanks for all the advice.
ImageImage
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I managed to JUST get those Vibe Slicks behind the original trims by removing the front cover, but only did one in the end.
Cheers

Marc
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Changed my rear speakers over the weekend, from the small one on the left to new 4" sony x plod 2 way speakers. Made a great improvement to the overall sound, well worth doing :D please excuse the the bad quality photo.
ImageImage