Windows Xp install probelms....

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
SLX 280

BMW other

Windows Xp install probelms....

Post by SLX 280 »

Hello,

I am trying to install windows XP (mmmmm backup) to a laptop..

Tried all the usual ways, self start, start..run etc etc

but I get the message when trying a self boot CDBOOT MEMORY ERROR (or similar?)

I have exactly the same spec computer with XP on it working fine, I also trued the diss in another machine and it worke fine...

Im I doing something obvious wrong??

Thanks

Scott
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Scott is the backup disc an exact copy of the original? sometimes if a disc has a title added or is written as a data disc, it does not work. To get my xp pro on I first have to load Xp home, if I want to format the drive, (which is an exact copy) then copy the pro disc to the hard drive and load from there. long winded but it works this way, whereas if i put the pro disc in the cd drive and try to load it from there it always comes up with an error.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Hi Scott
Don't know the answer to that one but i can say 'Do not download XP service pack 2' :shake:
It's the kiss of death
Best switch off 'download automatic updates'
Microsoft ...... grrrrrrr :evil:
'High G' motoring enthusiast
SLX 280

BMW other

help

Post by SLX 280 »

Cheers,

As far as I know its an exact copy...

I have installed in on a desktop pc no problem, but on the laptop its having none of it, and its exactly the same machine as the one I use, memory, processor everything...?? very odd

cheers

scott
mroadply

M roadster S50

Post by mroadply »

Just as a point of reference. SP2 works just fine. I've rolled out 20 + PC's with it loaded and its not an issue. Seems to be a problem with machines that have obscure software packages on them. The biggest consideration is integrating them with firewalls and AV software, it definately doesnt like two firewall packages running for starters!
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

The laptops I have, came with Manufacturers Installation CD Roms, which have the additional drivers for the hardware.

I haven't tried to install from a straight forward Windows Xp disk - could your problem be lack of drivers from manufactures disk?

Re SP2 I have installed it on 4 machines with little to no problem - only thing needed was to update some applications
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

mroadply I can only comment on my son who had problems with SP2 & also a profesional IT & PC expert who says to avoid SP2. I think you have been lucky & that the conflicts you mention are common enough for most people to need to be wary.
DavidO

Porsche

Post by DavidO »

could your problem be lack of drivers from manufactures disk?
Nero's theory is the most likely. Few if any laptops have much generic hardware, and specific drivers (unavailable in Win XP library) will be required.
David O
mroadply

M roadster S50

Post by mroadply »

Laptops and the lack of generic drivers with WHL compatiability has always been a prob for XP and even 2K to update. The best course of action I've seen with SP2 is to ensure that all the SP's have been loaded prior to running SP2. Its easy if you have DSL of some description, though the majority of people dont have that luxury. One particular issue that people often negate is that the BIOS is woefully out of date on most peoples platforms, though updating them is really for the domain of competant people. Take for example a dell d600 i use, supplied with version 6 of the bios, current version 14 and its less than a year old. Its always a good idea to read the mainboard manufacturers website on the bios just to see what tweaks they've done. It sometimes gets most people out of a lot of difficulty.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

SP2 fine for me - updated a load of machines - all work fine - a few needed some obscure pieces of software updated - same story in work - a weekend rollout of SP2 - to 100+ machines went without a hitch
tetchmeister
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by tetchmeister »

Robin wrote:mroadply I can only comment on my son who had problems with SP2 & also a profesional IT & PC expert who says to avoid SP2. I think you have been lucky & that the conflicts you mention are common enough for most people to need to be wary.
We have rolled out SP2 on 4000 PC's and Laptops globally, and have only had 3 problems. 8-)
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Noted. Thanks for the tips. Will pass them on.