Subwoofer?

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Subwoofer?

Post by Gooseacre »

Just bought an M Roadster which has a Kenwood head unit (KDC-BT60U). Think the speakers are stock.

Sound is very weedy - great top end though just virtual total absence of bass.

The head unit has a subwoofer control on it so assume it has a sub out connection. Any suggestions on a subwoofer that I could buy for low money (less than a ton) that is easy to install - under a seat? Would I need to run a power cable to a sub or just a cable to the back of the head unit?
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Subwoofer?

Post by Gazza »

my sub is powered by an Amp which takes its power from the battery.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

What sub do you have? And where?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mine is located between the roll hoops, custom fit, I think it's 7"

Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Thanks for great suggestion.

Discovered something today. When I have the radio on I get sound from the rear speakers but when I play music via Bluetooth (from my phone) I get nothing from the rear speakers - hence the non existent bass. Any clues??
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Which sound system do you have? Standard consists of two footwell speakers, two tweeters in the doors and two small speakers behind the seats. The Harmon Kardon system also includes a sub-woofer between the seats (in place of the storage box - there will be a grille with the HK logo on it on the front facing side where others have a storage cubby) - there is also an separate amplifier in the boot. I believe there is also an intermediate system, but I couldn't tell you what it consists of.

If you have the standard setup, then are you getting sound from the footwell speakers. This is where most of the bass comes from. It is a common problem for these not to work with aftermarket stereos, as there is a small amplifier on the passenger (left) speaker that drives them both, and it requires an extra connection to get this to turn on. There is also a relatively common fault with the relay on the amplifier failing. There is a good thread on here concerning its replacement.

Whilst I appreciate the standard system leaves a fair bit to be desired, if it is not working properly, then it isn't really a fair comparison.

Does you stereo have a separate volume control memory for each source? I seem to recall someone else having a similar problem switching between radio and CD, but I can't for the life of me remember the fix - I vaguely recall it had something to do with taking the aerial motor output in place of the amplifier remote control to drive the footwell speakers. I don't think there is anything else that cut the rear speakers off though.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Gooseacre wrote:Thanks for great suggestion.

Discovered something today. When I have the radio on I get sound from the rear speakers but when I play music via Bluetooth (from my phone) I get nothing from the rear speakers - hence the non existent bass. Any clues??
it sounds like you have the auto antenna connection from the head unit connected to the amp remote on the car. its a common problem with aftermarket head units that have separate connections for antenna and amps when the car only has one. Take a look at the back of the head unit and you should see a 'spare' wire there marked as amp remote. This needs to feed into the white wire on the BMW loom.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Ok so no rear sound using Bluetooth is solved. Found the setting on the head unit! Took an age as the head unit is not the most user friendly.

Thanks for all suggestions on upgrades. I will upgrade soon but little short on cash right now.

The setup is original. I assume the standard for Z3M whatever that is...

There is no "HK" on grille between the seats... There is a 6 cd changer in the boot...
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Just checked the spec by VIN on this forum (it is an S54) and it is definitely not the upgraded system with the Harman Karden setup...

Would love suggestions for upgrading max total spend £300 including fitting!
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Brilliant - thank you...

So minus the Alpine headunit that is £315. Reason for retaining my Kenwood headunit is cost(!) but also it has bluetooth - both for hands free phone calls (microphone is already installed) and for streaming music from my phone. Any view on how good my Kenwood is compared to the Alpine you suggest? Any implication on your suggested inline amp?

How long would that lot take to install (roughly)? - I may not have the time to do it myself - any idea on install cost (ish)?
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Wow - comprehensive.

Really really appreciate your time and advice. :D
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Guess I can add an in-line amplifier to the Kenwood. Their website says the following re the HU I have:

The built-in 4x50W (peak) amp will make your factory speakers sing, whilst the three 4v RCA pre-outs allow you to add amplifiers to build a serious system.

ps. When you said in an earlier post about sub in front of passenger seat with built up floor and mat over top not sure I understand quite what you mean. Would passengers stand on it to sit down?