Retro fit steering wheel controls

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
mrloneranger

M roadster S50

Retro fit steering wheel controls

Post by mrloneranger »

As you've probably noticed from the subject i'm wondering if you can fit steering controls. I've bought the sony 8800 which should arrive today and have also seen adapters to fit existing steering buttons.

But I don't have any, I guess you must take one of the blue tabs of the steering wheel but is the wiring already their ?? ?? and can I buy the buttons.

No major loss as the new unit come with a remote but it would be nice to have the buttons.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Some units have a steering wheel mounted remote, which is available separately to the unit itself. I believe Boston Green has one on her wheel. Its not for a sony but for Blaupunkt but I suppose the same principle applies. I dont think there would be any wiring in a standard wheel to allow you to fit remote buttons in the tabs.
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

The BMW standard buttons use the I-bus, not separate wired for each switch... and I would bet that the "clock spring" you have fitted does not include that wire, so I would bet its more hassle than its worth.

If you could find a clock spring from an E39 or E46 to fit your wheel, then you could use the wheel controls (as you say, swap the blue bits) for buttons.... then you could use an I-Bus controller for your sony... as per the E39/E46 et al...

Would be nice - and much neater than an add-on stuck under or at the side of the column.

There is quite a lot of info on the i-bus around...same goes for the other BMW busses.. all interesting stuff and you can have great fun with your laptop plugged in....

D
mrloneranger

M roadster S50

Post by mrloneranger »

Just received my Sony CDX M8800. What a difference to the sound :D . It was easy to fit and with the connectors it just plugs into the existing wiring.

As for the steering controls, whats the point. I've got a remote, if i can't find that it not exactly hard to move my left had a few inches to adjust.

Anyone contemplating changing their head unit, why wait. :D :D