Speaker amp out......poor bass on new edge speakers

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
laurieh

Z3 roadster 1.9

Speaker amp out......poor bass on new edge speakers

Post by laurieh »

Hi all,

An update to yesterdays post

From begining:

Purchased a JVC KD X40 4x50watt
Purchased iso lead off ebay (£3)
Fitted JVC with iso lead and worked ok on stock speakers (little bass very tinney)
Purchased Edge 305 components 210 watt speakers
Removed stock speakers in foot well, Passenger had the speaker amp which i removed, joined the violet wiring together as per old thread on here. Could not install new tweeters due to difficulty running through door gromits but all speakers (rear & tweeter stock) are working with new edge foot well speakers

The downside is the new edge speakers are acting like mid range, no bass or very little, pretty much the same as on the old setup

Could this be my new head unit? or ISO lead ? or the speakers?

Surely i should get a nice ish bass even without fitting an amp?

Cheers
laurieh

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Speaker amp out......poor bass on new edge speakers

Post by laurieh »

Thanks Zedonist

Have been playing around with the oem amp and too be honest makes no difference whatsoever , i will be looking at getting a Slimline sub soon as the sound at the mo is poor, bass sounds like somthing from the 70's very tinny.

cheers
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Hi laurie, I'm surprised that you're getting such bad bass response as I've also got the Edge components fitted in mine and while they're not earth shattering in the bass department, they're certainly good enough, not tinny at all. I've also bypassed the amp (used these instructions: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ote+turnon) and got mine hooked up to a Kenwood HU, and I've also fitted the crossovers and tweeters in the doors.

One thing I did do was to line the speaker cavity in the footwell with Vibe sound deadening material from Halfords as this chap did in his Z3 coupe: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.ph ... with-pics/

I listened before and after and thought there was a definite improvement, might be worth a go, only takes an hour or so to complete and you only have to do it once!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
laurieh

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by laurieh »

Zedonist wrote:With the HU you have you really get the best from a fresh install, try and find some decent two or three way speakers for the back, don't use components here.

Give me a shout when you get it all together can talk you through the set up
e did you take running new cables through

Many thanks for your info, will give you a shout, just out of interest what procedure did you take running new cables through the doors to the HU?
laurieh

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by laurieh »

wonderloaf wrote:Hi laurie, I'm surprised that you're getting such bad bass response as I've also got the Edge components fitted in mine and while they're not earth shattering in the bass department, they're certainly good enough, not tinny at all. I've also bypassed the amp (used these instructions: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ote+turnon) and got mine hooked up to a Kenwood HU, and I've also fitted the crossovers and tweeters in the doors.

One thing I did do was to line the speaker cavity in the footwell with Vibe sound deadening material from Halfords as this chap did in his Z3 coupe: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.ph ... with-pics/

I listened before and after and thought there was a definite improvement, might be worth a go, only takes an hour or so to complete and you only have to do it once!
Interesting, i followed that procedure but left out the new crossovers and tweeters and used the original stock only because i couldnt get from the door to the HU

The side i have seems to echo rather than bass
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

you haven't got the speaker wires reversed on one speaker have you?
this will put them out of phase and you will lose all bass (one speaker moves inwards as the other moves outwards on the same note cancelling out the bass response)

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

laurieh wrote:
wonderloaf wrote:Hi laurie, I'm surprised that you're getting such bad bass response as I've also got the Edge components fitted in mine and while they're not earth shattering in the bass department, they're certainly good enough, not tinny at all. I've also bypassed the amp (used these instructions: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ote+turnon) and got mine hooked up to a Kenwood HU, and I've also fitted the crossovers and tweeters in the doors.

Interesting, i followed that procedure but left out the new crossovers and tweeters and used the original stock only because i couldnt get from the door to the HU

The side i have seems to echo rather than bass

I seem to remember that I had to cut into the tweeter wiring to connect up to the crossover...mind you this was 2 years ago so could be wrong!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Interesting read wonderloaf.. I'm looking at doing this with the sound deadining over the Xmas hols.. Have been tempted to try and get some 6" speakers in there though...
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Zedonist wrote:In the foot well I have lined with sound deadening and also filled the cavity with the stuffing out of an old pillow, same stuff as they use in box speakers, and ensures all sound played forward into the cabin.
Has it worked well? Did you notice a differents?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3