Replacement Head Unit

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Replacement Head Unit

Post by Sp1key »

Last year I was not happy with the standard BMW business head unit in my 97 Zed and thought fitting some new speakers would improve things so fitted some replacement Edge speakers and tweeters and very little improvement.

So I added a new head unit to my Santa list and I fitted my new Pioneer DEH 4500BT yesterday once the new ISO adapters arrived and I'm very pleased with the results

I'm getting good clean volume and a fair balance of bass / cutting highs so I would recommend this to anyone considering an economical upgrade.

The Pioneer prices are all over the place but I managed to pick this up for £80 which is great value for an iPhone compat, blue tooth, USB and hands free fone head unit.

I'm sure I may still consider a sub at some point - there isan extra feed for it if needed but TBH I'm happy with it for now - such a big improvement for not much cash

Any views on whether I should keep hold of the old head unit / CD stacker or try and sell it on?

Could be doing with the extra room on the boot

Happy now :squeeze:
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Replacement Head Unit

Post by XVar »

I'd say it's definitely worth putting up a Stock Exchange thread for it, you get quite a few people who buy a Z3 and want to put an after-market headunit back to standard.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
BIG DAVE

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by BIG DAVE »

fitted new alpine speakers allround had a jvc head unit already fitted sounded terrible could not use loud button vibration was terrible went back to fitter he said sometime hu just gets tired tried new alpine hu what a difference and only £89 with ipod connectability well pleased :D
BigD
danteblitz

blank.gif

Post by danteblitz »

Any views on whether I should keep hold of the old head unit / CD stacker or try and sell it on?
Is it the CD or tape version? Im interested in a BMW Business CD head unit if you've got one going.
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

.... Sorry included it inthe sale of my Z3
jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jont »

Hi sp1key

I have just bought the same radio based on your experience, did you have any problems working out the color codes when you connected up using the iOS leads you purchased

If so can you pass onto me the color code sequence.

Regards johnt :lol:
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Hi Johnt;

I purchased an adapter and it was so easy - just plug and play and didn't have to mess around with the wiring at all

I was lucky the original head unit was still in place with the original harness / adapter

I bought it from eBay and from memory it was really cheap too - let me see if I can find it and will post the details here

Back in a mo
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

OK bought the adapter from motor solutions on EBay, details:

Qty Item Options Price
1 BMW 3 5 7 8 SERIES CD STEREO RADIO ROUND PIN ISO WIRING HARNESS ADAPTOR PC2-05-4
Item Number 290773371151 £2.87 GBP

Contact details:

Customer Service URL: http://www.motorguarduk.co.uk
Customer Service Email:
enquiries@motorguarduk.co.uk

As I say was plug and play hope this helps

Rgds

Mike
jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jont »