Retro or old style head unit advice

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Retro or old style head unit advice

Post by Mcjazz »

Hi I am looking for a bit of advice / help here I want a basic head unit with radio, cd and iPhone connectivity for the Z3 I don't like flashing lights ond futuristic displays Something along the lines of the Becker in looks.

Any pointers / experience would be a great help.

Thanks

Moray
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Retro or old style head unit advice

Post by resunoiz »

http://www.dension.com/

I have a Dension Gateway V2 on my original autoradio, works fine :)

ipd, usb and aux connectivity. there are also bluetooth solutions ;)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The Becker Grand Prix is tops...all the connectivity plus very discreet, extremely good fit, and you get a choice of red lighting whcich matches the red lighting in the cluster etc....They are now standard fit to Porche, Ferrari, and Merc...

The tuning system, station select, etc is tops...the iPod connection can be routed to the glove box so it doesn't need to lay on the passenger seat etc...They're not cheap, but worth the investment.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Thanks people I did look at the Becker Grand Prix there is a Second hand one on ebay just now for £400. Too rich for me.
What do people hink of Alpine units they seem less fussy than most ?

Moray
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The Becker's are the only real retro bells and whistles options.

You do get the grand prix's from £250 if your a bit patient and check german ebay sites as well as they are multi lingual (ie the same units sold in Germany and you can download the manuals in english).

I can update the software to the last v5.2 for you (CDROM) and can show you how to get the last 2009 Becker maps or even the 2013 BMW maps with speedcamera warnings (Thats what I use). The speed camera warnings are the best I've seen as you just get 3 beeps even if not using the sat nav function (ie plays the beeps over the radio ;-)

I have the cascade units in both my toys.

The ipod interface units have jumped up in price to c£110 though if you want that functionality but it is the best ipod interface I have ever used.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

Hi, Becker Grand Prix on ebay NOW 22 minutes to go at £200
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Went for 205 so how would I have known how old the unit was or Is that immaterial. Any questions I could ask regarding he Becker which if I am being honest had never heard of until I joined the forum.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks

Moray
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Last year I went and bought an expensive (£200) head unit which can even show videos on a small screen. I've hardly ever used it and I must admit, I must be a bit of an old fart because I simply want to be able to press a button to change the radio station rather than sift through 'menus' so I'll be selling mine.

Meanwhile, I've bookmarked this for further checking out in about a month's time:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mutant-Dash-C ... 53ee6d73de

It seems to be both cheap and easy to use though I'd love to hear what the rest of you think.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

I bought a Philips CEM 3000B a couple of months ago because I was looking for something plain and with DAB, but definitely not 2Fast2Furious if you know what I mean!
I also wanted a headunit that you can change the backlight colour to match the interior lighting.

Anyway, bought an aerial splitter thing from DAB on Wheels for £20 and am using the stock aerial for the DAB radio, no problems at all. Only other thing you need is a BMW to ISO wire harness adapter which you can get for about £5.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_265865

Halfords doing it now for only £99
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Caledonian looks good how is that for ipad and what is the connector you mention for ?

Thanks

Moray
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Moray
It depends if you want looks or functionality
Without doubt Beckers are the dog's whatsits but they are at the top end if the market.
I fitted an Alpine because the display colour was a near perfect match for the rest of the fascia plus it gave USB & iPod connectivity. But that was 5 years ago and technology has moved on!
It's worth a look at your local Halfrauds but remember you will need to add BMW harness converter.

Sent from m'iPhone using TappetTorque
Image :devil:
Caledonian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DA ... itter.html

This is the splitter I bought. Allows you to use conventional FM radio and DAB without the need for a second aerial.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT20BM01-BMW- ... 25765e0763

(Not the exact one but a link to the same sort of thing)

The harness converts the BMW wiring loom into the international standard ISO 2000 so that you dont need to cut or join any wires in the dash.
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Titan it was a visit to Halfords that caused me to ask on here as I stood dejected looked at the light show that was their Wall of sound.. Plus I wanted something that was more in keeping with the z3 dash. Funnily enough an audio shop suggested Alpine as the boy said they are a bit more ordinary..sounds good to me. Quite like that one Caledonian has pushed up though.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I thought I read somewhere that Alpine actually made the original ones for BMW.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Mcjazz wrote:Titan it was a visit to Halfords that caused me to ask on here as I stood dejected looked at the light show that was their Wall of sound.. Plus I wanted something that was more in keeping with the z3 dash. Funnily enough an audio shop suggested Alpine as the boy said they are a bit more ordinary..sounds good to me. Quite like that one Caledonian has pushed up though.
I know this is old now, but here is the thread from when I replaced our OEM unit.
Good Luck!
Image :devil: