DYNAMAT

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

DYNAMAT

Post by Southernboy »

Here's a really good product...it's called DYNAMAT. It's available via Amazon and comes in a roll 32" x 54" x 1/4" thick and they sell it for $49.90 - aprox. It is also available in 1/8" thick and that will most likely be a tad cheaper.
I've read some write-ups via Google on the product, and it seems one cannot get a better sound and heat insulation material for motorcar application. It's really easy to install, and can be cut with scissors to required shape. It has a peel off sheet on one side, and an aluminium sheet on the other face. It can be applied to the metal surfaces in your car and simply pressed to adapt to the contours of the base metal. It is thin enough to apply to the inside of the doorskins which will not only sound proof the doors, but will also make a more "solid" sounding door when closing. Obviously the boot would be a prime candidate for lining with this material and will cut out massive noise from that area. It can also be applied in the footwells behind the speakers, which should enhance the audio from your sound system.
To read up on this product just Google "Dynamat"....worth a read for those who would like to enhance their cockpit / driving pleasure by elliminating as much exterior noise as one can. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: DYNAMAT

Post by Gazza »

I used it in my 1956 Chevy truck to insulate the heat from the engine into the cab.

It would be a PITA to try and do inside the doors of the Zed unless you cut it into small pieces.

There are similar products that are cheaper than Dynamat.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What are the options other than Dynamat Gary?
"Normal is overrated"

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The name escapes me at the moment, I got it on Ebay, I'll have a look to see if I can find the out.

The roll I had was 30cm wide, easy to handle.

This is similar on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-SQ-FOOT-CA ... 871wt_1203

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive ... 921wt_1203

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-VEHIC ... _384wt_932
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Three Syllables »

I've used flashing tape in the past, and intend to on my new build in the zed. cheap as chips!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...now that's what I call a sharp move...3syllables....I'll investigate the pros & cons.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

I can't remember which width I bought, but I think it was this one.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-m ... d=11168624

I've used this for all manner of sound dampening activities, including door lining etc. It would work very well to add density to fibreglass builds (I hope hehe).

The only downside I've heard of is it has a slight smell about it at first, but it doesn't last long.

Hope it helps, I've got a new build going into my zed when i've finished the list of repairs for its MOT. Focal components, 6.5" JL 6w3v3 sub in a custom box between the seats and 2x vibe bb1 amps, etc... I intend to use a lot of flashing tape to ensure no rattling, dampen road noise etc. weeee!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I had a look at size and pricing at my local builder supplies hyper...they're selling the 10m x 150 for much the same price. I bought a roll this morning, and it took about 1 1/2 hours to do the entire boot including the cavities above the wheel arches. It's really an easy product to use and apply. Judging by the thickness of the butyl and the thickness of the aluminium foil..it's exactly the same product that Dynamat are selling but at around 25% of the price.
I still have about 4 meters left, so I'll get into the front doors next weekend. I think I'll remove all the innards - window glasses, window winding mechanism etc etc so that working in there will be a doddle....Might as well go that route and I can clean and re-grease the window mechs on both doors. I'd like to do the footwell speaker cavities also to exclude loss of sound through the body panels there.
Good luck with the sub installation...You should post some pics of your work with this stuff for others who may like to achieve better sound in the cockpit. I reckon it's the dogs... I did my boot lid too, but I may need stronger gas lifts there to compensate the extra weight added. It's not that much really, and perhaps my existing lifts are a tad tired...I'd like to fit ones which lift the bootlid without assisstance...the bootlid is always a PITA when the hands are full with stuff...anyhow, that's another project to research in the future.
I wonder if this stuff would stick and stay stuck in the wheel arches behind the wheel arch trims...It would certainly provide added water / rust protection if applied with a 15mm overlap on each strip, and would kill heaps of road noise from the wheels. Wouldn't cause a problem if it detached as it would be behind the wheel trims and couldn't escape from there without removing those trims. May just do that myself and see how much noise it elliminates.
It's all extra weight on the car, but IMO the benefits outweigh that issue.
Look forward to your posts and pics once you get going on your projects.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

Epic! Well done!

I'll be doing a full build log, and posting it here - I intend to use the existing storage boxes and cut into them etc, I doubt I'll ever be getting rid of this car so I'm not concerned with having an OE replacement ready... so it may not be for everyone. But it should look (and obviously sound) great.

I forgot to say, theres an easy way to cut the tape if you use a small serrated kitchen knife; bend it over the knife so it makes contact with the aluminium part, then cut it up through the tape. if that makes sense. I ruined a good few sets of scissors/stanley blades until I figured that out :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I used a can with some turps in it...dipped the scissors in the turps, and cut...it left the scissor intact...nothing got stuck to it etc...and also used a rag with some turps on it to wipe down the ally afterwards where my fingers had left some black sticky...came of without any effort..
"Normal is overrated"

Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

mental note made. Thanks!
nash

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nash »

Have used flashing tape in the past too, worked a treat