Z3 Footwell speaker replacement

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 Footwell speaker replacement

Post by larrygroke »

Hi all firstly thank you for this guide http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=30471 was really helpful!

I have done this slightly different! with out cutting or soldering! for the footwell speakers! follow the guide above however once removed the speaker you can simple use the existing connectors and plug back in!
with the passenger side as we all know there is an amp! NOT an issue! there is a big screw at the back undo unplug the cable and the gently prise way the stock speaker re connect the wires with a bit of double sided sticky tape on the rear of the new speaker stick into place reconnect and job done! i have used EDGE 305 and they are great for the money right now halfords have a sale on as there "OLD" and i picked them up for 15!

Tweeters- for this i stiped the wire of the standard tweeter and soldered the new ones on to the wires keeping the stock ones in as well.

there will be pics for the tweeters shortly! :D
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 Footwell speaker replacement

Post by Alan W »

Photos.. yes please!!! Is the sound any better? Did you keep original head unit?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by larrygroke »

Will Post pictures up tomorrow unfortunately the original head unit was not there when i bought the car it had a Sony which was ok but that has gone aswell i now have a flip up Xtrons HU with sat nag and all the toys on it, will also post pictures of this up, the sound is 100% better compared to the standard ones, however for the price i didnt expect anything much, but they are alot better than expected a little bit more bass but nothing major. :D
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Would be interested in knowing a little more on the Xtrons unit and how you have found it. I was very close to buying one a couple of months ago but I couldn't find a decent review anywhere on them so went for a Kenwood in the end.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by larrygroke »

Hi all sorry that there are no pictures today i have had no time! i will get them up tomorrow, as for the XTRONS unit it is good i will try and upload a video if not PM me your address and i will send you a video. the only complaint i have is that it sticks out a little to much for my liking, however its a small price to pay for all the gadgets on it! :D
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by larrygroke »

Hi All Here is my little thread to replace the speakers with EDGE 305 From Halfords Currently £15 as there old Stock!

Firstly remove all trim panels around the foot well there is 5/6 screws and 2 plastic ones, don't forget the one on the side by the door!! as i almost did! thankfully nothing broke as i stopped in time!

the remove the lower trim first as seen in picture below this is to plastic screws turn to a quarter and it will open.

once most of trim is removed it should look like this

the remove the speaker trim there is one plastic screw again! make sure this is out and then remove take care as the trim goes into the door sill slightly.

once you have done this Undo the speaker with a 8mm socket, and the amp and speaker will come out remove the plug to the speaker.
turn the amp upside down undo the big screw and carefully prise the speaker away as it is stuck down with tape! take caution again as you do not want to damage the original cables and replace with the new one. making sure you stick it back on as you cannot re screw this on!

screw back on with same bolts 8mm socket will do the trick!

A good chance to give it all a little clean too :D

To Remove the door trim for the tweeters is Painless!

1st, Lower the windows and open the door! remove the surrond around the door handle by sliding to the right/left *depending on what side your on* with a very small flat blade screw driver remove the door mirror button/blank plate and there will be a screw or a Hex to undow.

2nd. gently from the bottom prise away the door card from the door there are plastic clips with pull away! for the first one i used one flat-blade screwdriver and put your hand underneath and it will pop out.

once this is done lift up slightly and the door card will come off.

3rd unscrew the tweeter on the door card.

slide the tweeter grill out of the door card ensuring you have taken the screw off one side! once this is done unclip the grill from the tweeter housing

Place the new tweeter in the bigger hole *its not a perfect fit you can make it fit with a bit of trimming however i didnt bother*
place the grill back over.

the cut the blades off the new tweeter one at a time so you know which + and - and solder on to the old tweeter terminal. this way you will have two lots of tweeters playing = louder sound :D

then reverse the steps to put back together and enjoy better sound.

Overall the sound quality is ALOT better but as always for £15 you wont have BOSE quality but these are definitely worth the money! and to get rid of those horrid speakers!
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by larrygroke »

im currently unable to upload the video of my xtrons unit any ideas?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Upload to where? If you mean directly onto the forum, then I'm afraid we don't even have space for hosting everybody's pictures, let alone videos. Stick it on youtube and link to it using the youtube tags as per here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=35192

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Hi Larry, will prob go and get myself a set of these but can you just answer the following pleaser

1) does the glove box def need to come out to get the passenger speaker out?

2) clarify that the amp is 'stuck' and screwed to the factory fit speaker but you can only 'stick' the amp on to the back of the new speaker

3) if 2 above is the case would you recommend adding extra adhesive when attaching amp to back of new speaker ie is residual adhesive up to the job?

4) can you explain in a bit more detail: 're connect the wires with a bit of double sided sticky tape on the rear of the new speaker'
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

I have found this guide from a year or so ago, where the OP is actually replacing his speakers with the same ones as you.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30471

Did you also add the crossover box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
larrygroke

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by larrygroke »

I used that as a guide no i didnt use the crossover box as i used the original wiring fitted with the car speakers :D