Identify wires in footwell amp loom

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Identify wires in footwell amp loom

Post by Alan W »

Hi

Hoping that someone can help me out here... I need to identify what each of the wires are in the loom that are connected to the amp plug as shown in the picture below (taken from another thread) where it says 'cut here'

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.a.kirkwo ... %20amp.jpg
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Identify wires in footwell amp loom

Post by siwilson »

This help?

2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Thanks for this, absolutely brilliant

Ah... so the speaker wires to > the amp are on the left hand side, and then the speaker wires out of amp to> R speaker are on the right.

And N/C I take means not connected?

So my only question is... I want to take a live feed from this loom to the new compact amp I want to install... but it has to be a feed that only becomes live when the head unit is turned on.... so will 12 Battery be the one or White 5 (+12 signal) or both? How does this work?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

N/C means not connected.
Battery is live all the time
+12 signal is live only when the head unit is actually turned on, but not designed to power anything. Its just as signal

Most amps need 3 power connections. Ground, +12 and signal.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Thanks Si, thats me sorted. Since been looking at some amps and have seen the three power connections (live/neutral/signal).

I really want to retain the factory fit tradio cassette business head and CD mulitchanger and believe that the big weakness in the factory fit system is the amp and the footwell woofers.

So I have ordered a set of 5.25" pioneer dual cone 40-25,000Kz speakers to replace footwell ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TS-G1 ... 8915782%26

Which I will power from a new compact 2 channel amp.

Obviously the factory fit head unit doesnt have RCA outputs so I have also ordered these converters that will convert the speaker wires to RCA connectors allowing me to connect straight to the amp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-Car-Line- ... 4154d31a77

My only concern is that the tweeters are not powered by the factory amp, which isn't a problem in the stabndard factory amp set up, but I wonder whether with a more powerful amp powering the new footwell speakers whether I should get a 4 channel amp and power the treeters too?

Any ideas on that one
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

If you're worried about the volume of the tweeters you cold get some cross-overs and feed them from your 2 channel amp. I am not sure it's needed though you can always up the tone on the head unit.
Last edited by siwilson on Thu 24 Oct, 2013 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Thanks Si

Just one further question, will probably order this compact 2 channel amp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300W-MINI-AMP ... 873wt_1091

But don't know what a high / low pas filter does?

If you scroll down to the 'shots from every angle' lower down the page you will see that this amp has a 3 way switch to select low/high/off and a knob to turn the pas filter up/down?

Are you able to tell me what this is used for... sorry to be a pain
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Looks OK.

High and low pass filters are used to filter out frequencies you do not want amplified and fed to the speakers. If you were using this amp for only low frequencies you would want to filter out the high ones and vice versa. In your case you would want to filter out the high frequencies(enable the low pass filter) if you only connect the output to the new Pioneer speakers. If you use a cross-overs and connect the amp to the tweeters as well then you leave the filters disabled.