Audio technical question

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Audio technical question

Post by Alan W »

I recently changed my Z3's factory fit head unit for a Sony CDX-GT270 CD/MP3 player with front AUX

I have retained the standard speaker set up ie front channels feed tweeters and footwell speakers (via factory amp) and the rear channels feed the rear speakers.

I have also upgraded all the speakers with exception of tweeters.

The rear of the head unit has phono out jack sockets which can be seen in this image:

This instructions say that this output can be selected via the menu to provide either a:

sub out > amp > sub, or

audio out > amp > L&R speakers

I am therefore guessing that this is a constantly 'live' output which is in addition to the 4 channel speaker output via the ISO connections?

If so, could I have the following set up if I removed the factory amp fitted to the footwell woofer:

Front speaker output to drive door tweeters

Rear speaker output to drive rear speakers

Rear audio out connected to a new modern 2 channel amp then connected to footwell woofers

Hope that makes sense?

My other question being, is the signal coming out of the rear phono outs the same as the signal in the speaker wires or is it different and has to go through an amp before it goes to the speakers.

God, I hope I've made myself clear!
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Audio technical question

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes, you can do that, but you'd be better off running the front woofers and tweeters off an amp and using a crossover otherwise you'll be feeding a full-range signal to the tweeters. The output is low-level and has to go through an amp.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Audio technical question

Post by Alan W »

Thanks bladerunner, I think that the factory fit tweeters come installed with an in-line 'choke' to filter out the low frequencies.

I have replaced footwell speakers with £40 Edge 5.25 mid range woofers but to be honest I don't think they are up to much, I reckon a £120 set of better quality ones driven by a 2 channel amp will sound a lot better.

I'm at work away from car and was trying to visualise the storage compartment behind the seats, is there some way I could cut an aperture into the back of it and fit a large (6 / 7 inch) amp-driven single woofer?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'