BMW Business radio/cassette

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

BMW Business radio/cassette

Post by z3lowey »

I am very disappointed with the sound system in my 2002 Z3 - at only average volume all 4 speakers sound like they have blown!

I have just bought a brand new (Alpine) head unit, my question is: will the existing speakers sound better with a decent head unit to drive them, or should I go the whole hog and replace 4x speakers?

Appreciate any thoughts/comments.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: BMW Business radio/cassette

Post by stevov »

6 speakers. 2 behind seats 2 tweeters in Upper door and 2 in footwear. The speaker in the left footwell has a small amp attached to boost sound as the head unit is a low power unit. Often the amp has stopped working resulting in the footwell speakers not working. There is info on bypassing this in knowledge base. The new alpine unit will be 40-50 watts per channel so much higher than stock and enough for the stock speakers. Bypass the speaker amp and make sure you have the correct harness adapter for the head unit and see how it sounds. I did this to mine and and am ok with the results. A lot of good info in the knowledge Base.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: BMW Business radio/cassette

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I replaced the head unit in mine and although the sound was better, it quickly became apparent that he original speakers are just not up the job. Junk the lot and put some new ones in.