Sub-woofer opportunity

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Sub-woofer opportunity

Post by mrscalex »

I've just put roll bars in my Z3 and the set I bought came with the sub-woofer enclosure rather than cubby box. Which was fine with me as I wouldn't use the cubby box and I'm partial to a bit of bass like the next man :)

The trouble is I know nothing about car stereo systems. Is there a popular choice of sub-woofer that will install with the minimum of fuss? I'm no connoisseur so I don't need high end and whilst I'm handy enough with a set of tools I don't want to cut the car around to fit things in. I don't even want to replace the factory head unit as I like the originality.

Do these things wire into the head unit? Or just tap into the factory lateral trim speaker connections?

Thanks.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Sub-woofer opportunity

Post by Robert T »

ICE - that's a slippery slope once you start down it...

Subwoofer will require a separate amplifier. The Harmon Kardon system the original enclosure was designed for had one in the boot. It includes some other weird bits, one of which is referred to as a snorkel!

I was going to suggest that the base of the centre storage box is the same, so you could retain your existing cubby, but with the replacement lids. The only problem you will have is that you won't have the hinges for the lid. I managed to buy some new when I fitted hoops to mine a few years back, but I don't know if they will still be available. Note the pre-facelift and facelift trim is different, so you can't mix and match if the parts you bought came from a model the other side of the facelift.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Sub-woofer opportunity

Post by mrscalex »

A slippery slope indeed. And one I expect to end up falling over onto my a*se with unless I get some ICE for Dummies type help!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)