Z3 Headlights

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
ZedDad

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3 Headlights

Post by ZedDad »

I,m moving to France soon and taking the Z with me. Does anyone know if the headlights on m 1999 Z3 are adjustable to comply with driving on the right. I know some modern Peugeots and Citroens can be but wondered if BMW had thought of it in1999 :lol:

If they have to be replaced, my next question is does anyone know of the whereabouts of some French spec lights. :cheers
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

You can convert them but only with the beam adjusters - ie not the best solution....

As for where's best perhaps a french Z3 forum although I don't know any... Mike Fishwick might be able to point you in the right direction...

Failing that you could always go for the projector headlights off ebay or through any of the sellers on here - think 007 can get them...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I remember someone enquiring about this a few months back - I seem to recall they were trying to source some ordinary LHD headlamps and were going to fit those as direct replacements. New will be expensive, but surely there must be some scrappies on the continent you can nabble some off. I'd do the tape thing (I believe the lights have markings on them for where to put it) and source some when you get out there, unless some crop up in the meantime on German ebay for example.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

Out of interest, as i'm thinking of driving around some parts of france this summer, a little trip in the Zed. What do you need to do if you are visiting there?

Not sure what Robert means by the tape thing?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Tape is just a less glamorous name for beam adjusters. :wink:

You mask off the parts of the lens that would dazzle drivers on the other side of the road when your car is effectively being driven the wrong way down the street. It reduces your light output quite dramatically, but as a temporary solution it is much cheaper than fitting new lights. I believe the lenses have markings on them for where to put the tape.

You also need to carry certain extra items in the car which are not a legal requirement in the UK - it varies from country to country, but usually include things like high vis. vests and an extra warning triangle.

Cheers R.
ZedDad

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedDad »

Thanks guys,
OO 1005 - I'd planned on using the tape as a temp measure, but I need to have new lights or corrected ones to pass their version of MOT (every two years by the way) if out there permanently need to re-register car and get French plates.

Robert T - I've seen the German site cost is upwards of £600.00 + Carriage :roll:

Daniel - You need to have with you at all times, driving license, insurance cert, hi-vis vest in (cockpit not boot), set of bulbs, warning triangle, GB sticker or plates, and lights taped.

Probably go the way of temp solution and then trawl French e-bay or breakers.

Thanks for all comments

Frank
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

French eBay is not great - I've been here for a few months and regularly browse - its not cheap! Try ebay.de (German eBay)

Hi Vis jackets are a legal requirement, and they must be accessible from inside the car - ie not in the boot, also a spare bulb kit are also compulsory...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I was going to suggest another alternative would be to buy direct from US ebay, however it appears that the part numbers are different for US cars than for LHD European cars. Do they have a different beam pattern in the States? Even including shipping, buying some second hand lights from the US could be cheaper than Germany, but you would need to verify that they would be legal... just a thought anyway!

Cheers R.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Re: the 'tape' thing....

If you're going for more than a weekend, I'd suggest you buy the pukker kit from Halfrauds or the shop at the ferry/Eurostar terminal.

There are markers on the headlights, but it's not at all obvious which ones you must use. Just sticking patches of electrical tape randomly over the front of your car will not impress Le Gendarmerie.

If you buy the kit, it gives you a comprehensive guide for exactly where to stick it....plus the stickers have a reflective inside face so the light loss is minimised. Keep the instruction sheet so that next time you can use tape but in the correct places.

Also, to stay on the right side of the law, your lights must be corrected at all times. Telling M. Le Cop de Traffique that you don't intend to drive at night will not wash....

A.
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

The beams are differnt in the US - think they don't have an uptick as I remember talking to some of the US guys about modifying the uptick on my projectors...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

OO 1005 wrote:The beams are differnt in the US - think they don't have an uptick as I remember talking to some of the US guys about modifying the uptick on my projectors...
Well that clears that avenue of thought up nicely. :lol:

Cheers R.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

ZedDad

The headlights are marked for masking off.
When looking from the front of the car towards the rear, you simply fill in the left hand set of square ticks - see shaded area below.
In practice I found that you don't need to fill the lower half of the shaded area.
It's easy to tell if you've got it right by parking square on to a flat surface (eg garage door)
The "kick-up" to the left should disappear.
This is fine for temporary holiday use but does significantly reduce the overall light output.

For prolonged use, you can't beat getting a real LHD set of lights.
I'm sure Mike Fishwick will know a supplier in France - if he doesn't respond to this thread, send him a PM :wink:

Incidentally - to which area/region are you moving?

Image :devil:
ZedDad

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedDad »

Titan, thanks for the info. I'm going to the Limousin region, east of Limoges about 40mins. Excellent for top down driving. I drove there last summer with the tapes on from Halfords, I agree with everyone regarding reduced light.

In my ignorance how do the projector bulbs differ from standard bulbs, aren't they just brighter? :dunce:
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Titan wrote:ZedDad
Useful bit of info there my man :thumb: Hope to be using the 'Z' in France later on this year.

Now you wouldn't have a similar illustration for my 118 would you? :wink: using that for France and Spain in March.
ImageImage
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

ZedDad wrote:Titan, thanks for the info. I'm going to the Limousin region, east of Limoges about 40mins. Excellent for top down driving. I drove there last summer with the tapes on from Halfords, I agree with everyone regarding reduced light.

In my ignorance how do the projector bulbs differ from standard bulbs, aren't they just brighter? :dunce:
Projectors are a different method to lighting - the standard Z3 lights are reflector based - have a look at the projectors here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... projectors
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

ZedDad wrote:Titan, thanks for the info. I'm going to the Limousin region, east of Limoges about 40mins. Excellent for top down driving.
No problem :?
We passed thorough the area after the Dordogne cruise last September but only stopped at Oradour sur Glane as the weather was not brilliant.
However we will return I'm sure.
There are getting to be quite a few ex pat Zs in France :)
BATTERZEE wrote:Useful bit of info there my man..........Now you wouldn't have a similar illustration for my 118 would you? :wink: using that for France and Spain in March.
Have you tried the handbook? :rtm:
I'm not sure if some of the newer BMW models have a "built-in" facility.
My E39 for example has a metal mask inside the unit which you just flick across - simples
Failing that there will probably be similar markings on the glass.
Image :devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The Halo projectors are c£220-£250.

They are a great option especially if your changing anyway. They can be purchased in LHD off ebay sellers or you could try 007 (Simon) to see if he can source you LHD.

Installation HERE
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
ZedDad

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ZedDad »

Titan wrote:
We passed thorough the area after the Dordogne cruise last September but only stopped at Oradour sur Glane as the weather was not brilliant.
However we will return I'm sure.
There are getting to be quite a few ex pat Zs in France :)
Have visited Oradour weather was fantastic, but the site obviously dampens the spirit.

Well if you come though again you're more than welcome to call in . I have an Auberge, with 3 letting
rooms, restaurant and bar. Offer goes for all Zedders too :P

As for the lights I'll drop 007 a PM and speak to him.

Frank
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Jonttt wrote:The Halo projectors are c£220-£250.

They are a great option especially if your changing anyway. They can be purchased in LHD off ebay sellers or you could try 007 (Simon) to see if he can source you LHD.

Installation HERE
Yep, this is what I ended up doing with my car too. Really liked the OEM look but I also think that the projectors look fab in their own way too, plus the projector-type lamps are infinitely better in terms of focusing the beam and providing lighting on the road.
wwwwOOOff!!!
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Headlights Z3

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Titan wrote:ZedDad

The headlights are marked for masking off.
When looking from the front of the car towards the rear, you simply fill in the left hand set of square ticks - see shaded area below.
In practice I found that you don't need to fill the lower half of the shaded area.
It's easy to tell if you've got it right by parking square on to a flat surface (eg garage door)
The "kick-up" to the left should disappear.
This is fine for temporary holiday use but does significantly reduce the overall light output.

For prolonged use, you can't beat getting a real LHD set of lights.
I'm sure Mike Fishwick will know a supplier in France - if he doesn't respond to this thread, send him a PM :wink:

Incidentally - to which area/region are you moving?

Great tip, Titan. Shame you can't make some like your magnetic bits, that cling to plastic, that are re-usable!!! We are off on our yearly jaunt to the Vendeé on 30th June for a fabulous, non-clock watching fortnight. Hope to have some photos to share. 8-)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Don't forget 1st Aid Kit as well that's a requirement over there as well.

Have never used the headlight masks and got away with it, but I only go over on day trips though they are in the glovebox, how many French cars do you see over here with them on?