Windscreen pillar covers

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Windscreen pillar covers

Post by Southernboy »

Help needed!! Has anyone any experience with the inside windscreen pillar trim covers. Both left and right hand side covers don't seem to fit "snugly" and I've had to push them on and lever the rubber trim over the edge as it should fit. But within a short while they seem to pop out from under the rubber beading. From what I can see on realoem there are some clips on the underside, and I would like to remove the covers, and perhaps replace the clips. Has anyone removed these, and what is the procedure to remove and replace??
Any directions are welcome.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Windscreen pillar covers

Post by Zed Carer »

They are a pain to remove as I had to remove them when I took the dashboard out. Starting at the top I used a flat trim removal tool in the centre to spring both sides out from under the rubber edging and just worked my way down - I can't remember there being any separate clips. At the bottom and out of sight the trim ends in a flat section that is shaped to connect with a section on the end of the dashboard - unfortunately I don't think that I took any photographs. So once the trim is free of the edging it's a case of pulling it upwards in line with the A pillar whilst rocking it backwards and forwards to get it to release from the fixing on the end of the dashboard. IIRC the wiring on mine was behind the nearside trim.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks for that... I'll give it a careful go. 8-)
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:Help needed!! Has anyone any experience with the inside windscreen pillar trim covers. Both left and right hand side covers don't seem to fit "snugly" and I've had to push them on and lever the rubber trim over the edge as it should fit. But within a short while they seem to pop out from under the rubber beading. From what I can see on realoem there are some clips on the underside, and I would like to remove the covers, and perhaps replace the clips. Has anyone removed these, and what is the procedure to remove and replace??
Any directions are welcome.

Hi Barry,
I hope you are well.

Did you ever over come this problem as it annoys me intensely.
Mine come away at the tops so the metal clips aren't the issue.
I initially thought the plastic thingy-mi-bob (arrowed) might have broke and may need to be fixed, but it appears not.
anyhow its at that location where its not mating properly and the rubber wont hold it back

FOR INFO:-
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, I did have that problem.... what you need to do is look at the other "half" of that clip function... ie. where it slots into. Once you have satisfied yourself that both "halves" are functioning correctly, turn your attention to the steel spring clips... they can be "expanded" a little to fit more securely, and also positioned slightly to best fit the angles involved.... Finally, if you use a heat gun on the concave (inner side) of the trim, and warm it slightly before fitting it into the pillar, it will cool and "freeze" to the correct radius and that will further ensure it stops popping out... Best practice fitting it a few times, so you fine tune the process before heating the plastic for the final fit.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Cheers Barry,

I'll try again tomorrow, luckily I have a spare set should the worst happen.
I'm guessing its a really tight fit once installed correctly?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep, it's a snug fit... seems the main issue is the steel clip though... it moves about some, so important to get set correctly.
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

when I went down to the garage to take the pics I had a quick attempt at re-fixing......
I first fitted the bottom clip to the dash, then I firmly pushed at the top where the plastic clip fits and the first thing I noticed was that the top metal clip was out of alignment with the hole in the a-pillar.

I think your bang on, the metal clips need some adjustment in this particular case
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you can slightly open it up so it's slightly wider at the widest point, it will clip into the hole in the pillar more securely. You want to widen it so that when it clips into the hole, it pulls the trim towards the pillar firmly, but make sure the wide point in the clip passes all the way into the hole so it can expand on the inside of the hole. If you don't it will tend to pop out rather than hold the trim securely. The steel clip works on the same principal as the white plastic clips on the door cards which clip into the holes of the metal door skin. Also, if I recall, the steel clip can fit into it's slot on the trim in two ways - check it's the right way round so it does it's job effectively.
Last edited by Southernboy on Fri 13 May, 2016 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

:thumb: