THE EXTINCTION OF THE OEM CUPHOLDER

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

THE EXTINCTION OF THE OEM CUPHOLDER

Post by Southernboy »

As the title suggests, I am about to pull the rug out under the OEM cupholder...I will relegate it to the curiosity shelves of parts that we once thought were essential... :!:
I another post " Center console armrest" I envisioned producing an alternative "cupholder". The idea was to provide a cost effective option to the £.50.00 plus "OEM" version, which is needed if one wants a center console armrest... In fact on that thread, I posted a link to eBay, where a seller was advertising a "very rare" OEM cupholder...looks exactly like the others though...complete with useless coin dispensing facility...and for such a rare specimen this looney was asking £.120.00 excl postage etc... I'd like some of what he smokes for my 70th birthday.... :colourful:
Anyhow...although I spent some time drafting the new optional "cheapie" cupholder, it presented a stumbling block in terms of cost. I tried several painting services here, and without exception, they all quoted stupid money per unit, which would have made the item too expensive - in my opinion. I even considered buying a small hand held spray / compressor type tool, but that really doesn't appeal to my idea of a weekend passtime...I'm more the beer and cricket sort.
The upshot of the high paint cost was waking up around 1am last night with the :idea: Needless to say, I was out of the bed and making a cup of tea with my mind tickled by the vision of a solution to the issue...so simple - Why have a cupholder at all when it isn't needed....except for those who drink and drive of course - that's another story to sort later....and as simply too....
So, I will be drafting the parts for the new idea in the next day or two, and all going to schedule, will have the "non OEM cupholder" center armrest fitted in about 10 days time.... Cost? yet to be established...but certainly not £.50 -£120 !!! I'm still hoping to keep it to under £20 incl postage to the planet.. :sunny
When I'm done, those "very rare" OEM cupholders may even be cheaper than my alternative.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: THE EXTINCTION OF THE OEM CUPHOLDER

Post by alec.m »

Can`t wait to see the end result
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... me too !! And to think it all came about whilst I was thinking that I'll need to remove my center console this weekend to repair a minor blemish I caused when fitting it some weeks back... quite weird how the mind works by relating one thought with another and coming up with a third solution ! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

That`s how brilliant mens minds work. Women however relate one thought with another and then..... I`d better duck down under the parapet now!!!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

:shock: .......... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

A couple of questions:
1. Is it also for LHD?
2. Does one need to sacrifice the storage area.
(presently I use insulation foam piping over the handbrake. It's a 50 pence solution.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

This system will be able to be applied to LHD and RHD cars...The only difference will be in the actual armrest padded / upholstered part.
The LHD version will allow for access to the handbrake lever as a mirror reflection of the RHD padded / upholstered part, but the fitting solution will be applicable to both RHD and LHD...No problem... As far as accessing the center console storage as it exists in your car, this will be as simple as if you did not have an armrest...:wink:

I will be removing my center console this weekend, and once out, I can make all the correct and accurate measurements required for the fabrication of the components. I will complete the drawings by sunday evening, and mail them to the fabricator for a quotation which I expect to have on monday. If the cost is acceptable, I'll place an order for 10... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

If I can use my little storage area as normal, and its your usual quality, then I'll be in for one of the first off the line! :)
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Same here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Put me on the list as well please
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Wow !! Do we dislike the OEM cupholder or what!!...Thanks for the support guys...I'm sure it'll be a good'un for all... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I'm curious can you add me to the list and add a set of door card arm rest in black.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I know there is (as mentioned) a primary thread about this elsewhere re the OEM centre console addition; and on that thread I added my opinion of what would be preferable on any new version of the additional plastic - having already bought an arm rest from Barry I can vouch for the quality of the combined OEM plastic and arm rest items.

So with that in mind, and in respect of this thread, and the idea of an arm rest alone, I personally think its great. After all, why do you need to buy the extra plastic bit just to be high enough to fit the armrest when basically it was probably only the arm rest you probably wanted in the first place? However (as is the rule with arseholes and opinions) I personally also think it (Zed) is missing a cup holder and therefore I still like what you were trying to do previously... Was it really so financially unachievable?

Initially you were trying to develop a plastic alternative to the current OEM version(s) which would address the issue of cup holder(s), useless coin holders and poor cosmetic look and you were trying to do all this for a price that was competitive to a bag of sweets rather than competing against the products you were up against but does it really matter if it is actually relative in price to what is currently available? After all, there is already 2 versions of the additional OEM plastic cupholder addition to buy which are both equal in price to each other.... why can't there also be your potential 3rd version; especially if it is a good alternative??? If your bespoke one did what (selfishly) I, or other people wanted better than the original plastic versions for the same (or slightly lower) price then I would happily buy yours. Remember, these are BMW's which we own so we have already adopted the concept of quality over price.

Then , if you developed a new arm rest which could fit to to either
(1) the existing OEM cup holders
(2) any potential new cup holder you have started to develop (as per your previous thread),
(3) elevated stand alone to the existing centre console

...then everyone would be a winner?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good comments Lee...I haven't forgotten about the cupholder requirement. I think I have that sorted too... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Can`t wait, I`ll put my name on the list before it gets to 10.
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Me too
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

As per my PM's to you, I'm on board too Barry.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What is the diameter of a cup 45mm from it's bottom ? I suggest 67mm....If you guys can agree the size - that's what you'll get for the cup holder... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Barry,

Why be conformist? Design a Z3 cup to fit and have it anodised :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've decided on 67mm Diameter... If your cup doesn't fit...get another cup ... :D
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Does that fit a Costa or a Nero cup? :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Alec....is your first name " Smart"..... :D
I'm basing the size on a standard tapered coffee cup which you would get from most coffee shops - or a Coke type cup etc etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

How did you guess? My sister says the sun shines out of my ...... too :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... A further update....
I sorted the cup holder requirement...took about 10 minutes...It's a "retractable" idea...ie. when not in use, it'll fold away...when in use, the cup will position above where the OEM ashtray is located - just behind the emergency flasher switch....that way, if you spill the contents, you can almost be assured your flasher switch will drown.... :roflmao:
Just kidding...it'll spill into the ashtray...but you shouldn't be drinking and driving anyhow !! :nono
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You mean it gets dark when you sit down... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Glad the beer / coffee holder is back and at a good size - apparently it matters !!

Can't wait to see... I am holding off buying the OEM one for my new zed until this is done
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi Southernboy.

Would it be useful to publish a list of those who have expressed an interest.

At least people would know that you have received their name.

Just a thought.......... and my name is John
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good idea John....but they're all on this thread, so perhaps easy enough to go back and check when the item is ready ? I'm planning on costing for 20 units, which should give a reasonable indication of cost per. Had a bad moment this morning whilst draughting on the CAD...the power went down...fortunately, I had only been working on the drawings for 5 minutes, so no great loss.
Barry.

Here's another question...
The item will be made out of aluminium, so the potential to have it in a polished natural ally vs Black will be available. Obviously the polished ally will require the polishing part, which means it needs to be prepped beforehand so that the final finish is exquisite. Alternate is to have it "silver / metalic" powder coated which is what I'm considering doing to achieve the black finish...Anodising is fine, but it isn't a very durable coating method, and especially for an item which will be in use...ie. the leather upholstered armrest will be lifted and dropped which means the hinged point will abrade the anodised surface vs powder coated paint. The one drawback of powder coating is it needs to be well done so that the thickness of the paint doesn't interfere with the fine tolerances at the hinge...Also, it'll need to be a finely textured finish vs a smooth paint...makes it lots more scratch resistant...lots to do, but comments are welcome...certainly provides good food for thought to have fresh ideas. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Black for me please. BTW it does go dark when I sit down!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......well, please stand up...I can't see what I'm doing here anymore!! :D
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

:sunny
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Southernboy wrote:Good idea John....but they're all on this thread, so perhaps easy enough to go back and check when the item is ready ? I'm planning on costing for 20 units, which should give a reasonable indication of cost per. Had a bad moment this morning whilst draughting on the CAD...the power went down...fortunately, I had only been working on the drawings for 5 minutes, so no great loss.
Barry.

Here's another question...
The item will be made out of aluminium, so the potential to have it in a polished natural ally vs Black will be available. Obviously the polished ally will require the polishing part, which means it needs to be prepped beforehand so that the final finish is exquisite. Alternate is to have it "silver / metalic" powder coated which is what I'm considering doing to achieve the black finish...Anodising is fine, but it isn't a very durable coating method, and especially for an item which will be in use...ie. the leather upholstered armrest will be lifted and dropped which means the hinged point will abrade the anodised surface vs powder coated paint. The one drawback of powder coating is it needs to be well done so that the thickness of the paint doesn't interfere with the fine tolerances at the hinge...Also, it'll need to be a finely textured finish vs a smooth paint...makes it lots more scratch resistant...lots to do, but comments are welcome...certainly provides good food for thought to have fresh ideas. :wink:
Anodising will have a better abrasion resistance than power coat or paint, if its done right..
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Polished sounds nice but properly attract to much attention from Magpies and I don't mean the feathered kind :) Be nice to see one of each and go from there but I suppose the black version would be more OEM unless you have a ally centre console. Looking forward to the next instalment.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I may just go for the plain ally to be "brushed" instead of polished... not as "glitzy"...and as you say,the magpies eyes light up with shiny stuff... :wink:
The drawings are practically completed...I just need to do some weight reduction cut-outs to reduce the cost of postage and it also gives it the " "zoom zoom" look I suppose...another hour or so and it'll be ready to go to the laser guys for pricing...then the powder coaters, and that will do it....
The great thing about this is it'll come in a component format complete with the upholstered armrest...then it's a matter of 10 minutes of assembly and 10 minutes to fit.... and that's not all....you also get the fold-away cupholder... :D
"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

here in italy has never been one of the must-have optional, in any auto.

is it so necerrary?

In the zed I had a simple storage, and IMHO looked waaaay better than the orriginal 2 holes. but, honestly, I hardly can understand the effective utility... :oops:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Nice to see you're still visiting...I reckon you're missing the Z3 already...time to start looking.. :wink:
A cupholder is useful...even if you're still breast feeding...you can stand the bottle up in it while answering your mobile and checking your lipstick etc etc etc... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Southernboy wrote:Nice to see you're still visiting...I reckon you're missing the Z3 already...time to start looking.. :wink:
A cupholder is useful...even if you're still breast feeding...you can stand the bottle up in it while answering your mobile and checking your lipstick etc etc etc... :roflmao:
not for me...those "holes" are one of the most ungraceful think to see in a car :oops:

why not to visit once a while? ;)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I'm not 100% sure but thought I read somewhere that in the UK you are not supposed to hold a drink and drive at the same time - cup holders being fitted to place a drink in when parked up? :shrug
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Id like one!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....Yeah...you're also not supposed to talk on your mobile, text, look for stuff on the floor which is rolling about under your feet, examine your latest nasal discoveries etc etc....but it happens... :D

Another update....I'm done with the CAD drawings...finally...made a list of other bits, required, dome nuts, studs, washers etc...So monday morning I'll be off to the laser cutters...do some sourcing for black dome nuts, visit my local engineering w/shop for the "little" things that will need doing - drilling, threading and cutting to size in numbers....I'll visit the local powder coating guys and discuss optional finishes....so by the time the laser boys come back to me with their quotation, I should have all the other info I need to establish a final cost - ex shipping....
One small alteration to the actual upholstered armrest will be required, but that won't change the cost substantially, certainly no more than £.1.00. And lastly assembly / fitting guide and packaging....then we're there !! I figure around a week will do it....
Right now I'm seriously knackered, so any queries etc will not be attended to this evening...I'm going to break out a six pack and veg in front of my TV..
:cheers :wave
"Normal is overrated"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

It's not all about having a drink whilst driving.
Cup holders are handy for getting the KFC/Maccy D's takeaway and standing the drink in while you drive home. They don't balance on the seat/ footwell very well.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Southernboy wrote:
Right now I'm seriously knackered, so any queries etc will not be attended to this evening...I'm going to break out a six pack and veg in front of my TV..
Put your feet up for a bit Barry - you've earned it this week. Great stuff :cheers
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

More than a little interested in this.

Please add me to the list :-)

Mark
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:I'm going to break out a six pack and veg in front of my TV... :cheers :wave

Beer and carrots...?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....Enough carrots... :D
I've been out collecting pricing for the other little bits this morning...Dome nuts are not available in black, but I can have them in black at an extra 50p / kg and a 2 day delay...so no problem there...
All the other bits are easy and ex stock from the wholesalers...
So...it's all systems go on monday morning, and hopefully by Wednesday I'll have the laser stuff back and I can get them off to the powdercoaters..If everything else goes smoothly, then by next frida / saturday, I'll post some pics... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.........just to add to the "benefits" column...the actual upholstered / padded armrest will be also getting an upgrade.... :D
The "new" version will be aprox 20mm wider which will provide easier driver elbow access, which means you'll now be able to go to sleep sooner whilst driving...and not wake up suddenly because your elbow has slipped off the armrest.... :roflmao:
It will also have a similar but not quite the same shape, and of course as previously mentioned, it'll have the unique "foldaway" cupholder (with the 68mm diameter cup size hole)....which means you get to drink and take a nap whilst sitting comfortably in your Z3... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

:cheers :thumb:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Update...
I completed "Step 1" for the anticipated fitting to my car this morning...5 minutes. I have also taken 2 photographs which I will use together with the assembly / fitting instructions so that everyone will have full colour references as they go...What I completed this morning is the most "complicated / difficult" step in the fitting, so you will appreciate that having completed it in 5 minutes, it's not a great challenge... :wink:
I will provide step by step photographic images to support the instructions all the way through from start to completion. I estimate the total fitting time will not be any more than 20 minutes including sitting in the driver seat smiling with your drink nestled in the cup holder... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I look forward to the pictures Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

When you guys get to see the item and it's method of fitting, it may occur to you that perhaps the BMW designers missed a trick. It is so obvious that this should have been part of the original design, and for BMW to have not included it as a standard fitting was nothing less than a lack of vision by their designers. Everything required to accomplish it was already there..all they had to do was use what they had already provided in every Z3.
Anyhow, the Z3 will at last have a truly OEM center armrest complete with cupholder. Perhaps not as BMW might have designed it in the 1990's, but nevertheless, as it should have been as part of the car. Surprisingly, nobody else has seen this before including those who have persisted with the OEM Cupholder option, and that includes me. I've been advocating the OEM plastic box as the only way to fit an armrest in our cars too! :oops:
What has prompted me in this instance has been the collapse in the value of the SA Rand against the $ and the fact that an OEM cupholder would cost me close to R.2000.00 by the time it arrived here in SA. For a heap less than that I can develop an alternative to elliminate the neccessity of a R. 2000.00 plastic box !! I spend less than half that on petrol fuel per month !! :shock:
I'm quite intrigued to hear the response once I post the pics of it fully fitted and functional...So obvious when you see it...like the piece of doubled over wire which became the hair-clip for women. :idea:
Tomorrow will provide some interesting progress...especially with regard to the finishing. I'm hoping the laser guys will be able to refer me to a "bead blasting" service who use plastic beads to clean up and prep aluminium prior to coating... From what I've seen on the net, it's the way to go...so I'm holding thumbs that there is someone out here in the ex colonies that is set up to do that kind of work... :D .. and if so, then I'll probably go for an anodised process to finish. I just lie the clean lines vs the somewhat " dipped in gunk" look, which powder coating seems to result in. Indeed, the next few days will be quite exciting here in not so sunny SA... ( been raining for almost 10 days now... :head: )... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"