Screw free fix for number plate

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Screw free fix for number plate

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Soooooo fed up.

Keep trying to use the fat double sided sticky stickers from Halfords and getting same result - I am going made.

Spent hours on car yesterday and final job, after seat belt fix, was number plate off front dashboard and onto plate holder - sticky fixers from Halfords.

0530 this morning out to car for station trip number plate on floor again!!! Grrrr :head: :head: :head:

Anyone got a more permanent solution to this aggravation??

Many thanks.
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Screw free fix for number plate

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Screws?
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Heavy duty velcro, you then need to glue one side to the bumper and the other to the back of the plate. Works really well, also an added advantage is when you feel like a spirited drive and want to avoid the cameras, they are easily removed/replaced
ImageImage
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I saw solution with magnets for sticking number plate straight to the bumper and easy removal for photo sessions. Just glue some good magnets on the inside of the bumper.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Get the thin black double sided tape with green backing about an inch wide, Halfords stock it, it'll never come off.
Plates look better and much easier to clean than screws.
It's best to put a long horizontal strip along the top and two short vertical strips down the ends in an inverted stretched "U", don't go along the bottom though to prevent water and grit collecting behind the plate.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Magnets won't cut it, the mount is curved so puts a constant flex on the plate. You just need to up the ante on the amount of double sided tape!
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Or use a hairdryer to warm the centre part of the plate so it will take a small bend to match the backplate.

Be careful not to overdo it or the number plate will delaminate.

Mark
MCEwan

M coupe S50

Post by MCEwan »

Have a look on a favourite auction site for "double sided trim tape"' works a treat & available in different widths.
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Pop into your local BMW and ask them nicely, that's what I do. They've got the best double-sided number plate sticky pads around.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I used clear mastic and two sponges.
1, Mastic a nice even bead about 50mm in from the edges all the way around the plate and a Splodge in the middle

2, carefully drive the car up against (in my case garage door) or wall and get about 3 inches away then place and position the number plate and wedge a sponge between the plate and the garage door at each end, then edge the car forward until the plate bends to meet the holder and leave over night. The sponge I used was from an old sofa seat

Job done.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

if you clean the no plate holder and the back of the no plate with cellulose thinner before applying the double sided tape it will stick and stay on iv fitted thousands this way and never had one drop off :?
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-781746- ... ils+double

This stuff is amazing, I used it for my number plate 18 months ago and it hasn't shifted at all. Previously I used the crap that came with the number plate and it didn't last 6 months. It's a bit thin so you need to use more or less the whole roll but it definitely works.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I used that stuff on my wine rack at home, the front surround kept coming off with all sorts, superglue, gluegun etc. but that stuff keeps it on a treat.
Cal1000

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cal1000 »

I'd go with the no more nails strip, I used it to stick carpet to the garage wall a couple of weeks ago, it's still stuck solid :)
YNWACY

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by YNWACY »

I had a vinyl sticker made for my number plate and stuck directly on the bumper. Will try to find a pic
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

A couple of years back I bought a set of MPower number plate surrounds from M-Style for my M Roadster. They screw to the car and then the number plate is held in with clips.

Pretty sure they do them without the BMW MPower logo for non BMW Motorsport Cars :D
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.