KPH clock set.o

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

KPH clock set.o

Post by Rafolian »

Anyone got a set of KPH clocks for sale?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: KPH clock set.o

Post by Southernboy »

You don't need clocks...you only need a KPH dial overlay with the KPH layout... have a look on eBay... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Have got those Barry, look great in daytime but are crap at night as the original dial shows through and you can't make anything out. Same thing on my Kawasaki!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...If it's not a must have asap item, I will be getting an OEM black Kph overlay in the next week or so and plan to use it as a template to have a cream coloured dial face made up for myself. I can't let you have the OEM one, but it'll be easy enough to have a black one done while I'm at it... if you want to wait a few weeks, I'll be able to help you out... Problem with changing the cluster is getting the thing re-set with mileages etc... anyhow, I'll keep you posted and if you're still looking, then we can go from there.. :wink:

BTW...the original dial face is easy to remove...it peels off without too much effort. Only issue is not to bend it sharply and get a kink in it.
"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Hang on Barry, you already promised that to me !

Are the oem kph available?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

OEM Kph are available on eBay...at around £82 plus each .. :shock:
I'm planning on doing the required CAD drawings so that my laser guy can then cut them using a suitable acetate base material of varying colours as required for the face, the colour of the numbers, the blue/green/red and amber sections for the various warning lights... And a clear complete template to cover the entire back so it holds all the bits in their respective positions. The front face I want will be cream colour - as per ...

To do a cutout in black vs cream is easy enough... the entire overlay would be 1. Cream or black (or any other colour) with cut out numbers and markings for the gauges. 2. red transparent layer so that all the numbers etc will shine through as red when back-lit. 3. various small transparent Blue/green/and amber cutouts which will slot into their positions in the black face to be back-lit by their lights as the utilities are switched on and exactly as they appear on the OEM face. 4. a complete clear layer which will act as the adhesive on both sides - a. to hold all the coloured bits and the main face layer together, and b. to adhere to the base of the instrument cluster plastic.

Anyhow, the reason I am getting the OEM face overlay from a buddy here, is that I can use it to very accurately reproduce the shape and positioning of all the numbers on the Speedo, RPM, temp and fuel indicators, as well as the accurate positioning of the cut-outs for the other back-lit "windows" eg. Blue = high beam, red = hand brake etc etc... It''s simply a matter of drafting the various outlines for each piece so that when it is all put together (like a jigsaw puzzle) and the clear back applied, it becomes one flat sheet with everything in it's appropriate position including the holes for the gauge pins to pass through.
Once the drawings are done, it's a simple process to have as many pieces of each laser cut from the appropriate coloured acetates and then stick them all together. So if you prefer a midnight blue face with amber lighting, or dayglo pink with purple backlighting it's a matter of choosing suitably coloured materials...the laser cutouts all remain identical... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Rafolian wrote:Anyone got a set of KPH clocks for sale?
On German ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261567587130? ... 1423.l2649
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Southernboy, do you plan to extend measures to some 260-280 km/h? I think there is some place for that on dial...

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... I guess it could be done, but to what end..when most Z3's will never see that speed.?
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Southernboy wrote:... I guess it could be done, but to what end..when most Z3's will never see that speed.?
Most z3 will never see 240km/h too, but it still is on the dial :) I know that hamann made dials with 280km/h for 2.8 - https://products.vividracing.com/hamann ... 838943.php

There are people who are making assumptions of cars speed based on that dial.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... more fool them...maybe if you fitted a twin turbo you might get there... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

............ the best of both worlds.....and very reasonable price too...and choose the colour you want... :wink:
http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/ ... -i356.html
"Normal is overrated"