WTB: E-approved LHD facelift headlights w/ clear indicators

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

WTB: E-approved LHD facelift headlights w/ clear indicators

Post by janijoeli »

So life has brought me back to Finland, my home country... At least for a while. :)

I'm going to register my Z3M here. Yay for cheap UK cars and no car import tax for Finns brave enough to return to the darkness and coldness. But to be able to register, I need LHD headlights.

Must be E-approved, the MOT guy will not (or at least should not) accept US imports etc. To the ones not familiar with the E stamp, it should be visible somewhere on the lens, and should look similar to these:

Must be in good working condition: No broken fasteners, cracks etc.

If big angel eye halos already installed as per my signature, great. :)

If anyone wants to do a straight swap of their LHD headlights to my RHD facelift headlights with halos and without indicator lenses, even better! :) They are not perfect (at least one fastening tab has broken off and inner lenses have some yellowing), but have halos already installed which are a bit of a pain to install. Some photos here:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 50#p364970

Alternatively, if anyone knows any German or other Z3 forums, or other places where I could find LHD headlights, much obliged! :cheers
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: WTB: E-approved LHD facelift headlights w/ clear indicat

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Thats why I sold mine that time, as I needed LHD ones as well :D Sounds like they are still working in any case!

German prices are mental.. not sure if you will come away with anything under €600 :shock:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Just a thought, if you get a set of LHD headlights can you not use the oven trick and swap over the front lenses from your RHD units? I cannot see that there will be any difference in the perspex lenses on LHD and RHD cars.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I found a LH side LHD headlight already (thanks Emek!), now looking for just RH side one..

Brian, that's not necessarily a bad idea! :) I'm not sure if I could get the halos out of the way without breaking them, but might be worth a try. In worst case I'll get any RH side LHD headlight I can get my hands on and swap the front lenses to my current RHD unit.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Removing the lenses is easy...they simply clip into the housing.... one clip top and one clip bottom.... The lens has the "male" clips on them, and the housing has the reciprocal "female" side.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Hi Barry, long time no see! :)

I was actually talking about the lenses in front of the driving lights and high beams. The pattern on the driving lights rises gradually towards the ditch, like this:
http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/hids/DSCN9722.jpg

So when driving a RHD car in LHD traffic, the pattern rises towards the oncoming traffic, blinding them. Illegal in Finland, so must change headlamps.

I'm not sure if the high beam pattern is different from left to right, but they might be, so might have to change those lenses as well.

So I now have (or have bought from Emek) a complete left LHD facelift headlamp. If I cannot find a right one with clear indicator lens, might buy any LHD unit I can get my hands on, pull driving light and high beam lenses from it and fit into my RHD unit, and drop you a PM for buying a clear indicator lens. :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi buddy..... been a while.... sorry for the confusion, but now I see your dilemma. Why don't you simply fit the aftermarket projector headlights which come complete with halos etc...or don't you like them ?
"Normal is overrated"

janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I've never really warmed up to the aftermarket projector headlights.. It's either just facelift OEM, or OEM with big halos that rock my boat. :)

That being said, I would really like projector HID units fitted into OEM headlights (through the original lenses), along with the big halos.. HID units would solve my problem re. light pattern and would also be helluvalot brighter than OEM bulbs, but I just don't have enough time at the moment for the required investigation and DIY. :( I remember you starting such project a while ago Barry? Got anywhere with it?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... I really liked the kit from the USA, but just couldn't justify the cost...
"Normal is overrated"

Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Here's a righty:

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s ... ref=search

Dont know if it will match the one you have already though..
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

In case you want the white lenses on a lefty, here is one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-BMW-Z3- ... 3f49dfd8ee
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

And finally :D Here is a set which you can oven bake :D

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Y13328-BMW-Z3-Ha ... 1719551029
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Cheers mate, the OEM left hand side headlamp I bought from Emek is a facelift one (chrome rings and clear indicator lenses), so I'll be looking for a matching pair.

Or was going to.. I found a pair of Umnitza headlamps from a Finnish BMW forum.. They are the exact opposite of what I'd need and want (projector headlamps without E-stamps) but the price was so attractive that I thought I'll try them first and hope the MOT guy wouldn't notice. At least the pattern is correct.. If it doesn't work out, I'll quickly source another facelift headlight from somewhere, or any LHD RH headlight and start cutting and pasting. If it does, great - I'll have plenty of time to source a cheap pair for Emek's headlight.

http://www.umnitza.com/projectorz-ii-wi ... -1193.html