Chrome rings

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
corky

M roadster S50

Chrome rings

Post by corky »

Hey up guys,
Can anyone help me please I am Looking for 2 chrome headlight rings ,

Regards corky
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Chrome rings

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Do you mean the chrome rings that the later headlights have? If so, they are not a separate part, but are part of the lens on the later cars.
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

I am looking for the Chrome rings that are inside the headlights, just wondered it if anyone has had a bump and the light had got broken and the rings were going spare

Regards corky
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Corky
A solution to your quest... pop into a metals laser cutter, specify the size - inner and outer diameter you want... ask them to cut 2 rings for you from 1mm mild steel and get them chromed... it's really cheaper than you think, and you're more likely to get some rings that way vs waiting on the possibility of a set from a broken headlight. Besides, if the car has been bumped to break the headlights, chances are the rings will have been damaged anyhow.
If you have them fabricated, it'll probably take no more than a couple of weeks to get them through the entire process. Fitting them will just need some epoxy to hold them in position. You can file / paper the inner and outer edges so they are rounded after the laser cutting.......:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

Wow... Don't know what to say

Cheers
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

That chrome ring is actually painted onto the plastic. I have a split apart facelift headlight. Give me a few minutes to upload a photo.

Lee
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Do the headlights without the ring have the same lenses which can simply be painted to replicate the one you have shown?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

That's a good question, I have taken mine apart but never looked to see if they are. This is a lense out of PGunters car when he wrote it off. I had a company design some custom halo rings to fit :)

Lee
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

My non-ring headlights are made of glass, and do not have the ring shape moulded around the edge. I also have headlights with the ring, and they are made of plastic.
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

Wow I think I have opened a can of worms, all I wanted to know if anyone had any spare ones :?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Joycey wrote:I had a company design some custom halo rings to fit :)
Sounds interesting Lee, any more info or are you keeping them a secret?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Off topic but I'm interested to see what you have got upto Lee as I'm not liking the bluish look on these LEDs I have but to light up better than the old CFF ones. I was looking at some of these new COB LED rings which have smaller LEDs and come fitted inside those plastics rings so would not stand out so much like the old CCF ones. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/391127399282?nav=SEARCH
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage