WANTED: Driver side rocker panel

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
rodgertdodger

Z3 roadster 1.9

WANTED: Driver side rocker panel

Post by rodgertdodger »

Hi,

I have to admit to having been a quiet member of this forum now for a number of months and I have to say the guides on here are superb!!!

I have a 98 z3 1.9 in Montreal blue that is in need of some tlc. As mentioned in many many posts here I have done a number of the usual jobs to replace rotting rubbers and have managed to polish some life back into the paint to a point where it really does turn heads (amateur detailing enthusiast).

Unfortunately the one job I can't polish out is the rusty on the driver's side rocker panel. It's bubbling a lovely burnt orange. As it's such a common problem I was wondering if ever there existed a fibre glass or plastic alternative? Or is it worth removing the panel, sanding, treating the rust and filling?

Thank you in advance for any guidance. Love driving the little thing but don't want to spend if I don't have to.

Rodger

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: WANTED: Driver side rocker panel

Post by Del »

I assume the rocker panel is another term for the “sill covers”. I’ve seen fibreglass sills talked about but never seen evidence of them being produced. BMW still sell the OE versions which come in their black primer – I recently paid £180 each (1998 1.9). To solve the rust it would really need to be cut out and filled which would be a significant job as the rust bubbling on the surface is usually a bit like an iceberg. 2nd hand ones from breakers are rarely any better as these cars are getting older. This thread may be helpful.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=44198
rodgertdodger

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by rodgertdodger »

Thanks Del, every time I searched for for sill it seemed to refer to the black plastic that is directly below the door.

I guess I'm in luck that it's only one I need to do....at the moment

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Decent secondhand ones are a rare commodity. Like you I do everything on a budget and take great joy from it :)

But when I do the sill cover next year I will be biting the bullet and going brand new with a budget of £200 per side painted.

The thread Del mentioned is a must as it's recent and has a cheap source for the OEM part.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
rodgertdodger

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by rodgertdodger »

Think the new is best option may be the one to go for.

Its gonna have to wait though as it was in this week for a major service and new discs and pads.
Driving home the driver side caliper has seized so having to replace both.

They also pointed out an oil leak that needs fixing as well as a rough idle that i think is the vaccum hoses............

And take a deep breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheeseandbeans

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Cheeseandbeans »

Can you post a picture of what you need? If it's the plastic covers I may have some.