Z3 fuel level sensor card (faulty fuel gauge fix) [sold]

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
James Bond

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 fuel level sensor card (faulty fuel gauge fix) [sold]

Post by James Bond »

This is for those having a wacky fuel gauge (always reading full or half-full). You need to replace this part inside the fuel pump.

You can buy this part brand new from Holland or buy mine for a bit less. I replaced mine with a new one from Holland and it hasn't fixed the gauge issue.
The card is not cracked and doesn't have any visible damage.

[SOLD]

Last edited by James Bond on Mon 08 Aug, 2016 10:46, edited 4 times in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 fuel level sensor card (faulty fuel gauge fix)

Post by Southernboy »

Fixing the gauge issue is partly the problem of that part, but is more the problem of the arm with the float on the end.... Where it hinges on the fuel pump it wears, and the result is it doesn't stay in touch with the part you have replaced... It takes a little fiddling / bending to get the contact point on the arm to remain in touch with the board you have replaced. I had the same problem with the erratic gauge, and after cleaning up that part you replaced, it still didn't change things, so I had a closer look at the movement of the arm and realised the problem was with it's worn hinge. It flops about and loses contact with that board, so I re-engineered the hinge so it would keep the arm connector part constantly in touch with the board part.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
James Bond

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by James Bond »

thanks for info

do know if it is safe to remove the fuel pump with 1/2 fuel remaining? or 1/4?

The last time I had ~5 liters remaining and removal went fine without making a mess with petrol on the floor.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The tank needs to be as empty as possible to avoid fuel spilling into the car when you open up. Once it's in the carpet, you'll never get rid of the smell.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
James Bond

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by James Bond »

Southernboy wrote:Fixing the gauge issue is partly the problem of that part, but is more the problem of the arm with the float on the end.... Where it hinges on the fuel pump it wears, and the result is it doesn't stay in touch with the part you have replaced... It takes a little fiddling / bending to get the contact point on the arm to remain in touch with the board you have replaced. I had the same problem with the erratic gauge, and after cleaning up that part you replaced, it still didn't change things, so I had a closer look at the movement of the arm and realised the problem was with it's worn hinge. It flops about and loses contact with that board, so I re-engineered the hinge so it would keep the arm connector part constantly in touch with the board part.
I have fixed the issue by bending the contact points as adviced. Thank you very much

The board is still for sale