Wanted Z3 Roadster

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Wanted Z3 Roadster

Post by SHRS2000 »

I'm looking for a nice low mileage Z3. My ideal car would be a facelift 2.2 Sport in Topaz Blue with black/blue interior. Must be sub 60K with good history, low owners & as original as possible. Summer use only car. Please PM with anything of interest.

Thanks,

Steve
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Wanted Z3 Roadster

Post by SHRS2000 »

No one looking to sell? :roll:
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

SHRS2000 wrote:No one looking to sell? :roll:
On Autotrader Rockvale Motors are showing a Topaz Blue 2.2 with blue/black heated sports seats, 57k miles and service history for £7,495
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

Zed Carer wrote:
SHRS2000 wrote:No one looking to sell? :roll:
On Autotrader Rockvale Motors are showing a Topaz Blue 2.2 with blue/black heated sports seats, 57k miles and service history for £7,495
Thanks for that. :cheers It's on the list of possible to view. Spoke to the owner & seemed like decent sort but I thought their prices were a bit steep & thinking I may get more for my money by shopping around?. Plenty out there just trying to find the 'right' car for the 'right' money & don't want to jump in. New to the Z3 but appears very much to be a buyers market.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Ouch. £7.5k sounds expensive. I'd be planning on no more than £6k unless it's something very special.

With that sort of budget you want a Sport really. That said this would be my first port of call out of the cars currently on ebay. It's not a Sport but it's got a full Sport spec and has M seats (which at a guess I would say are original). Quite an interesting build really. Why spec all those Sport items (including Limited Slip Diff) and not just get a Sport? It's Titan Silver I know. But it's only done 55k and is £4.5k. If the condition is as good as it appears I think that's a good deal. Especially as I suspect this is a 'San Remo' individual car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Y-BMW-Z3 ... 2046445411

If you've got £8.5k I don't think 2.2s get any better than a Dakar Yellow (this is what I call 'very special' and it's another individual car but I know yellow cars are marmite).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-Z3-2 ... 2042568908
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

mrscalex wrote:Ouch. £7.5k sounds expensive. I'd be planning on no more than £6k unless it's something very special.

With that sort of budget you want a Sport really. That said this would be my first port of call out of the cars currently on ebay. It's not a Sport but it's got a full Sport spec and has M seats (which at a guess I would say are original). Quite an interesting build really. Why spec all those Sport items (including Limited Slip Diff) and not just get a Sport? It's Titan Silver I know. But it's only done 55k and is £4.5k. If the condition is as good as it appears I think that's a good deal. Especially as I suspect this is a 'San Remo' individual car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Y-BMW-Z3 ... 2046445411

If you've got £8.5k I don't think 2.2s get any better than a Dakar Yellow (this is what I call 'very special' and it's another individual car but I know yellow cars are marmite).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-Z3-2 ... 2042568908
I noticed the silver one & it almost looks too good to be true. Problem is I'm in Northumberland the car is in East Anglia! The yellow one is local to me & went to view last week but the car wasn't there. It's waiting for a new rear window. Called yesterday & still not back. I can't make my mind up if I like the yellow, have to actually see it to decide.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

You'll be travelling to most cars as you're in Northumberland!

Seriously you'll have to be prepared to move around the country for the sort of car you are looking for. You can always see if a member of the forum local to the car will have an initial look for you. I'll do it for any car in Swindon, Swansea or off the M4 inbetween.

You'll also get used to spotting a good one from afar yourself and there are checks you can make online like MOT history, spec and write-off status.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

ImageImage
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

Noticed that one too, Taunton!! Couldn't be further away. Just missed out on a nice one in York this morning. Rang the guy & someone already on their way to view. Sold, gutted!

I think I might have to lower my expectations. There are others out there but what put's me off is the mileage & many owners. i know mileage is not an issue I'm just thinking of resale in the future. Just have to be patient & I'm sure something will come along. Or .......

Toying with the idea of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-51-BMW-Z ... SwLnBX6Qcc

Opinions welcomed please.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Looks like a tidy motor from the pictures, maybe slightly high price but its from a dealer so its to be expected.

As for your general feelings, high mileage is not an issue if they have been looked after - my 2.0l had done over 150,000 miles when I sold it and my M has just clocked over 100,000. You will also find that cars like these do tend to have a number of owners - unless you are getting the //M or the 3.0l versions then the prices are pretty reasonable for a 2 seater soft top BMW and therefore people buy them for a summer 2nd car for a while and then move them on - its more a reflection of the affordability rather than anything wrong with the car usually.

Theres obviously lots of things and knowledge to look out for when buying them - there are a couple of links below about what to look for.

viewtopic.php?t=9788
http://zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... de#p392979
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If you pick carefully there's nothing shabby about a 100k car with several owners. In fact that's the norm for most Z3s these days and there are many well loved cars falling into that category. The engines are capable of well over 100k and as a summer car you won't be adding that quickly to the miles. The condition of the bodywork and interior is more critical really although remember that pretty much anything on a Z3 is not difficult or that expensive to remedy.

As you want the car for the summer I presume you're going to run it from April-September (6 months tax) so you have plenty of time yet. If you really want a <60k <5 owner car then stick to your guns. But that type of car is distinctly in the minority these days and you will need to be patient.

If you are running out of time and keen to have a car I'd be tempted to splash a couple of grand so you have something to run around in while you extend your time to look for the ideal car. And you may well find that a £2k car is not so shabby. It will certainly get you a very tidy pre-facelift 1.9 and if you pounce on the ads quickly a useable facelift 2.2

You will find something up north in due course. And because it's so far from the rest of us you might even have a bargain all to yourself. But really, you may have to be prepared to travel.

My next project is a Titan Silver 2002 2.2. I go through cars very thoroughly and a nice, solid, useable car will come out the other end. It's got about 95k on it and it won't happen in a hurry but it should be ready for April. I'm putting a replacement engine in (awaiting PM to determine why the old one died - I bought it like that) and tidying it but there's not too much else wrong with it. I haven't decided on a price but it should be the right side of £3k.
ImageImage
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

mrscalex wrote:If you pick carefully there's nothing shabby about a 100k car with several owners. In fact that's the norm for most Z3s these days and there are many well loved cars falling into that category. The engines are capable of well over 100k and as a summer car you won't be adding that quickly to the miles. The condition of the bodywork and interior is more critical really although remember that pretty much anything on a Z3 is not difficult or that expensive to remedy.

As you want the car for the summer I presume you're going to run it from April-September (6 months tax) so you have plenty of time yet. If you really want a <60k <5 owner car then stick to your guns. But that type of car is distinctly in the minority these days and you will need to be patient.

If you are running out of time and keen to have a car I'd be tempted to splash a couple of grand so you have something to run around in while you extend your time to look for the ideal car. And you may well find that a £2k car is not so shabby. It will certainly get you a very tidy pre-facelift 1.9 and if you pounce on the ads quickly a useable facelift 2.2

You will find something up north in due course. And because it's so far from the rest of us you might even have a bargain all to yourself. But really, you may have to be prepared to travel.

My next project is a Titan Silver 2002 2.2. I go through cars very thoroughly and a nice, solid, useable car will come out the other end. It's got about 95k on it and it won't happen in a hurry but it should be ready for April. I'm putting a replacement engine in (awaiting PM to determine why the old one died - I bought it like that) and tidying it but there's not too much else wrong with it. I haven't decided on a price but it should be the right side of £3k.
Thanks for the info. :)

I'm not in any particular hurry. I've got a decent budget but the time chasing cars all over the country I have not! In the past I've bought car's without viewing, depending on the responses I get from the owner. They have all turned out OK, especially when bought from an enthusiast.

One thing I'm sure of is it must be a 6 cylinder car so a nice 2.8 is a possibility. :)
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

Is this a Sport?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 500&page=3

What do you guy's think of the price? Alloys look a bit crap & is it my eyes or does the door look a slightly different shade? Estoril Blue?
PaulI

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PaulI »

I'm a big fan of Dakar Yellow, and went to see this one last week, it looked delicious, and the garage said that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a car just a couple of years old.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... New&page=1

So, a nice sport spec, and that low low miles, what could be wrong?

Car had been very neglected in its life, only 1 service from new! Lots of rust inside bonnet, poorly dabbed with paint, dent in door, poorly repaired crack in front bumper, no dash lights (checked fuses),
passenger seat not working, rust at end of cills, rust starting in rear wing, gear lever very loose. When I said to the dealer that it had a few issues, he just shrugged and said it was a 15 year old car and looked away, and then said he should be charging more anyway, big response to his ad. So I didn't buy, and set out back for the 240 miles journey back home!

Hope you get better luck.

I also viewed a Dakar 2.2 in Bournemouth last October, it too was just as poor. I'd stick to private sellers if you can, dealers seem to think they have struck gold when they get their hands on any Z3.
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

PaulI wrote:I'm a big fan of Dakar Yellow, and went to see this one last week, it looked delicious, and the garage said that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a car just a couple of years old.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... New&page=1

So, a nice sport spec, and that low low miles, what could be wrong?

Car had been very neglected in its life, only 1 service from new! Lots of rust inside bonnet, poorly dabbed with paint, dent in door, poorly repaired crack in front bumper, no dash lights (checked fuses),
passenger seat not working, rust at end of cills, rust starting in rear wing, gear lever very loose. When I said to the dealer that it had a few issues, he just shrugged and said it was a 15 year old car and looked away, and then said he should be charging more anyway, big response to his ad. So I didn't buy, and set out back for the 240 miles journey back home!

Hope you get better luck.

I also viewed a Dakar 2.2 in Bournemouth last October, it too was just as poor. I'd stick to private sellers if you can, dealers seem to think they have struck gold when they get their hands on any Z3.

Bloody Hell! I rang the dealer about this & wasn't impressed with his replies so didn't bother taking it any further. Pleased I trusted my gut instinct as I thought as you did. 34,000 miles, it should be spot on. Just goes to show. I'm sure there are some good dealers out there as I've had some very positive experiences. Every time I view a car or talk to a dealer I'm weighing them up just as much as the car! :lol:
PaulI

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PaulI »

The rule of being a dealer in cars, is that you buy as cheap as possible, you remove anything from the car that you can make a few extra £££s on, you give it a valet, then offer it for sale for the highest price you think you can get away with.

First customer will come in and pick holes in the car (see my previous post!) but they just ignore and wait for the next. Next may well have rose tinted glasses fitted, and just buy anyway, their dreams realised. Even if they haggle a bit, want 1 job done, the dealer will look at his margin and make a choice.

Even privately you can get the car inspected, buy a warranty if you need to. Best thing is to look at cars locally, any Z3, any model, so you can learn what to expect, what's good and bad. Ther'll be Z3's out there a third of the price of that Dakar one, and a better buy!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I offered my car but you've not got back to me. It's better than these you've been looking at, in fact l've won prizes at car shows with it. Plus it's the 3.0 M Sport with hardtop. Is it because it's had six owners?

You shouldn't write off a car with more than two owners. These kind of cars often have a few owners....my Ferrari had twelve(!) previous owners in 20 years yet it was the best l'd seen. My Porsche 928 S4 was a superb example again the best l found, with ten previous owners.

Often a new owner will throw money at a car. And if it's a second car it will only come out on nice days, mine has only done 56,000 miles and it's a 2002. So fourteen years old.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

lightning wrote:I offered my car but you've not got back to me. It's better than these you've been looking at, in fact l've won prizes at car shows with it. Plus it's the 3.0 M Sport with hardtop. Is it because it's had six owners?

You shouldn't write off a car with more than two owners. These kind of cars often have a few owners....my Ferrari had twelve(!) previous owners in 20 years yet it was the best l'd seen. My Porsche 928 S4 was a superb example again the best l found, with ten previous owners.

Often a new owner will throw money at a car. And if it's a second car it will only come out on nice days, mine has only done 56,000 miles and it's a 2002. So fourteen years old.
I've seen your pics lightning. I'd be beating a path to your door if I had that sort of money to spend. A 3.0 Sport is very much in my sights, Topaz Blue is my pet colour as that's what my 2.2 is and wow, cream and black interior.

Number of owners no worry. I know your car isn't this lightning but even a properly repaired write-off wouldn't put me off. A car of this age is about the love and care put into getting it into the current condition. Yours has clearly had no lack of love and attention.
ImageImage
z32point8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z32point8 »

Good afternoon
Are u still looking for a BMW Z3?
I am selling mine. It is a 2.8 Automatic, 1998 S reg. 64000 miles. I am the 2nd owner. It comes with a hardtop, tournet, netting etc. Everything in it is original including the sound system which is the Harmon khardon, I think it's called that. The sound system does need some TLC as the subwoofer needs replacing.
If you want some more info and photos let me know.
Regards
PS . Looking for around £4000!? Is that too expensive?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

On the face of it, you'll struggle to find a nicer car than this one for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-Z3-2 ... 2348379587
ImageImage
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

mrscalex wrote:On the face of it, you'll struggle to find a nicer car than this one for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-Z3-2 ... 2348379587

Looks nice enough but a 500 mile round trip to find out!!

Viewed a 2.2 Sport locally. Nice enough car & the dealer was spot on but yellow just not for me. Going to devote a day next week & look at a couple.
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

Well I've found a car! :)

It's a 2.2 Sport in silver with black & blue seats. 62,500 miles, 2 owners & good history. Needs a bit of tidying, rear bumper & mirror bases to paint & odd little mark to touch in. Wheels although presentable will be refurbed. Interior looks to be very good. A couple of weeks to pick up as needs a new MOT & a spare key which the dealer will sort out. Once in my possession pics will be posted. Took a bit of a gamble as bought the car unseen, which I have done before, after speaking at length to the dealer who answered all my questions honestly & backed it up with some detailed pictures promptly. Obviously I haven't driven the car but a two owner 62,000 mile car should be OK. Passed the last three MOT's without advisories.Serviced every year, bar two, & been in long term ownership does, I think, feel good. Of course I could be completely wrong but if I am I'll just have to get on with it & sort things out!!

Thank you to everyone for their comments & the offer of several car's.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I am sorry you never came to view my Z3 3.0.

It is a near concours standard show winning car. I think it was just what you were looking for!
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by SHRS2000 »

lightning wrote:I am sorry you never came to view my Z3 3.0.

It is a near concours standard show winning car. I think it was just what you were looking for!
Many thanks Martin once again it does look a super example.

Good luck with the car. :thumb:

Cheers, Steve