WANTED!!!!!! 1.9 engine

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
z3birds

Z3 roadster 1.9

WANTED!!!!!! 1.9 engine

Post by z3birds »

Wanted:.

A 1.9 engine for my beloved z3. !!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it was suffering the dreaded oil leak from the timing case gasket and oil filter housing. It's been a slight drip for 4 years now and each time it's been in for a service the mechanics have advised it too big a job to strip the engine down and replace, just keep oil topped up. So that's what I did. Until on my way to from work friday, the gasket must have failed completely casuing my poor zed to dump a load of oil in the fast lane of the M6.

Then to my horror, the oil light comes on and by the time I've realised what's happening the engine has no oil at all and there's the worst noise you could think of.

Needless to say my engine is now no more.

The body on my zed is sound and I love the car so I plan to replace the engine myself with plenty of help from my uncle.

I would consider a complete car going cheap or a fair price for an engine in good condition.
Last edited by z3birds on Thu 28 Dec, 2017 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: WANTED!!!!!! 1.9 engine M44

Post by mrscalex »

I can help with a cheap option. Send me a PM.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I just despair that the"too big a job to do the oil leak" is now an engine change instead.
I would be changing my mechanic.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
z3birds

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z3birds »

I plan too. Been to more than one garage and they're just not interested. as soon as they know they have to pop the bonnet it's like "sorry love, we don't really do engines here, that's a big job" ..... it was two gaskets..... :x
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

z3birds wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2017 23:03 I plan too. Been to more than one garage and they're just not interested. as soon as they know they have to pop the bonnet it's like "sorry love, we don't really do engines here, that's a big job" ..... it was two gaskets..... :x
That is pitiful. Presumably they are a Kwik Fit style garage only interested in servicing, brakes & exhausts etc. Rest assured there are plenty of decent garages out there.

Flippin eck. Swapping the whole engine out is hardly rocket science for a garage. And if you are doing it yourself you just need to take your time and be methodical.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
z3birds

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z3birds »

Yeah they were, but the second garage I used are local hand have been really good with both my cars and my other halfs car. Just a bit of a let down with not wanting to do the gaskets. But we live and learn.

I will be doing it myself, with the help of my uncle. He's stripped down an old 5 series and re-built it back up before and that included an engine swap. so fingers crossed it goes well.
zedzedthree

blank

Post by zedzedthree »

Expect you have the O rings and gasket ready to fit to the replacement engine prior to fitting? they really are an easy job especially with manifolds,alternator and belt tensioner removed.Did just the job on mine a couple of months back,first noticed leak in August and a month later was
leaking profusely.

Also,while you are swapping engines,consider renewing the plastic water connector on the side of the block along with same at rear of cylinder head,both mine were at point of letting go and when they do the loss of coolant can prove terminal.

You say you need an M44 Engine,this is the 16 valve unit last fitted pre facelift 1999 but your profile says the car is 2000 year thus a later 8 valve
M43B19TU unit.

Seasons greetings
z3birds

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z3birds »

Oh right good to know thanks. The guy at the garage did mention a slight water leak when it was in last time, he did say had repaired it..... although it doesn't really matter now. I will certainly do the gasket/o-ring changes and the connector, as you suggested, with the replacement engine.

It was registered in Jan 2000...... but think it may have been manufactured 1999.....

I will check it out though just to be sure.

Thanks for the info :D
zedzedthree

blank

Re: WANTED!!!!!! 1.9 engine

Post by zedzedthree »

A fail safe check would be to look at Google images of the M43B19TU engine and match what you have under the bonnet,the earlier M44 16 valve
engine looks very different from above.
Recently there were a fair number of the later 1.9 8 valve engines for sensible money in W.Mids dismantlers,they were also found in E46 saloons up to end of 2002 and late E36 compact 318i cars.
Should you buy an engine,it would be best of course if it could be seen and heard running when all the usual checks for head gasket failure and presence of proper antifreeze can be done.

Sounds like total oil loss got the engine before the total loss of coolant saw it out,there are no shortcut fixes with coolant leaks on this engine,the plastic fittings rot and many people attempt a bodge with sealant which is temporary at the best,for any reliability these parts need swapping out and correct coolant using.
z3birds

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z3birds »

Sound advice, much appreciated.

Thanks
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi, did you find an engine?
[/url]