Change browser tab to reflect topic subject?

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Change browser tab to reflect topic subject?

Post by Zmeagol »

At the moment if you open several topics using CTRL+click they open in tabs in the browser. However, each of the tabs is labelled 'Zroadster.net - View topic' rather than the subject of the topic.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Change browser tab to reflect topic subject?

Post by gookah »

mine has the topic I opened displayed on each tab.
That's in Safari on a macbook if that makes a difference

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The topic is in the tab title of all the browsers I tried - Firefox, Chrome and IE - however the tabs in both Chrome and IE are too short to actually display any of the topic title - but if you hover the mouse over the tab, then a tooltip is displayed showing the complete title. In Firefox, you get to see about the first 10 characters of the title, depending upon how many tabs you have open.

It would probably be possible to reverse the order to display "zroadster.net - view topic" at the end of the title rather than the beginning, but when you have more than just ZR tabs open, I think it more important to have "zroadster.net" showing. The only other possibility is to remove the "view topic" text.

I can look into this if anyone else thinks it is worth it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Since (in Chrome atleast) all the zroadster.net tabs have the "zr" favicon, I'd say that the whole zroadster.net (stuff) prefix could be removed as you can still identify the site by the icon.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Very true. I forgot I'd done that. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Safari seems to be the only browser that handles this in an intelligent way, albeit without the ZR favicon. But from what I can make out of the way Safari displays the titles, reversing the text to have 'zroadster.net - view topic' at the end would screw this up totally.

Best overall would be to lose the zroadster.net - view topic' text which would improve the experience in most browsers and wouldn't impact Safari.