Broken Signature Pictures

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Broken Signature Pictures

Post by Robert T »

I have noticed that quote a few people still have broken images in their signature, caused by the removal of HTML support from phpBB3. HTML will not be coming back, as it is a major security risk, so the tags must be converted to BBCode.

I realise that not everybody has the know-how to do this themselves, so if you would like me to fix your signature for you, please drop me a PM. I have noticed at least one signature that used a large image which is then scaled by width= and height= in HTML - this I cannot covert for you, so please make sure that you are linking to a signature-sized image and not something you could print a poster from!

If I spot any whilst using the forum myself, I will fix them. And for the couple that I have done today, no, they didn't magically fix themselves. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Broken Signature Pictures

Post by Jonttt »

The bills in the post :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Three. It's my OCD. I can't stand raw HTML on a page. :lol:

Cheers R.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Hi Rob,

Do you have some instructions for doing this?

I'm playing around with Windows 8 :roll: and trying to decide if SkyDrive is a viable alternative to Photobucket. So far all I can get from SkyDrive for posting photos is an HTML link that obviously doesn't work with the [img] tags.

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=3DD ... B-ukiVb6r0" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

So if you have some info on converting the html I would be most grateful.

Cheers.

D
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Dave the trick is going to the Skydrive link you provided there, and then clicking View original and using that url. Like so:

:wink:
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm not sure how static the "view original" link is - it seems to go to a single server in a farm - if it doesn't move, then that's fine, but my suspicion is that you may have to view the picture first for this to work. :(

There is no way of emulating the iframe HTML above with BBCode yourself, but I can create a new BBCode tag for ZR that inserts this code - I think for security, I would make it so that the site name part is fixed and you only need enter something like:

Code: Select all

[skydrive=320,240]cid=3DDF35388B700B99&resid=3DDF35388B700B99%21175&authkey=ADMy5B-ukiVb6r0[/skydrive]
I think there are two problems with the links you have been using - one seems to have a redirect, which probably won't work and the other seems to contain a html page and not just an image, which cannot work with an HTML img tag, which is all the BBCode img gets converted to.

Cheers R.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

At least it seems to be faring better than Google Drive: :wink:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/27 ... ive_crash/

Cheers R.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

So all in all the conclusion is Sky Drive isn't really designed for hosting forum images, use photobucket :P
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

XVar wrote:So all in all the conclusion is Sky Drive isn't really designed for hosting forum images, use photobucket :P
I'm looking for a reason to use SkyDrive at all and so far I haven't found one. Most of the photos I have that are published in the cloud are for forum posting so if I have to continue to use photobucket for that then there is no reason to have photos on SkyDrive and therefore another reason not to bother with windows 8. :P

You've got to love how the "View Original" method completely ignores any sharing rules you've implemented on the photo :roll: