IE9 & Tab Handling

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

IE9 & Tab Handling

Post by Dave L2 »

Rob,

is there anything that can be done so that links in ZR posts open in new tabs? It's frustrating when reading a thread that contains a link to another thread or site, when clicking the link you are navigated away from the original thread rather than a new tab opening. Obvisouly use of the Ctrl key is an option but it would be nice not to have to remember to do that. I don't think it's IE settings related as I've only noticed it happen on ZR.

TIA

Dave
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: IE9 & Tab Handling

Post by c_w »

I think it's an issue with this forum since the forum "upgrade". Normally all links should take you to a new window/tab but I've noticed anything linked on here takes you away from the forum in the same window/tab.

I would imagine it is a forum setting that needs to be changed, probably an administrator job to do a global change rather than a setting for a user.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Dave L2 wrote:Rob,

is there anything that can be done so that links in ZR posts open in new tabs? It's frustrating when reading a thread that contains a link to another thread or site, when clicking the link you are navigated away from the original thread rather than a new tab opening. Obvisouly use of the Ctrl key is an option but it would be nice not to have to remember to do that. I don't think it's IE settings related as I've only noticed it happen on ZR.

TIA

Dave

Without checking, if my memory serves me right, right click on the link and then select, 'open in separate tab'
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Eh? What are we talking about here? Do you mean links to other topics on ZR or external links? Internal links AFAIK have never opened in a new tab. I don't remember external links doing so either, but then again I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast these days! I don't think there is a simple tickbox anywhere that will change this behaviour, so I would have to go hacking in the code again, but it might well be possible, as you'll notice that it automatically shortens URLs to internal links, so it does know the difference.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

I always remembered external links oening in a new page...

then closing when I finished- obviously I now find I've closed my entire explorer!!

garyw
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I can't remember if ZR ever did it. What prompted the question was that ZR is the only site I use where links don't open new tabs. In non-forum type sites these are links to other sites but in the case of phpBB forum sites, posts containing both links to other threads and links to other sites tend to open a new tab.

If there isn't a tick box to turn this on or off don't woory about it, unless there are more members that want the change.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'll see if I can get a chance to fire up the old forum at the weekend - I still have it knocking around on a VM. If other phpBB sites do it, then I don't see why ours shouldn't, as the customizations are all around user profile information, not the core forum functionality.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc